Sell Out Deluxe Edition

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

Sell Out Deluxe Edition

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Any word on this thing that supposedly comes out next week in the UK? I ordered it through amazon.co.uk for the bargain price of eleven pounds. Glad I didn't get that Classic mono vinyl now.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Re: Sell Out Deluxe Edition

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Yes, but that Classic Mono issue was priced fair at $24.99 (or less at Amoeba) and came with a rare poster reprint.

I wanted that poster.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Rspaight wrote:Any word on this thing that supposedly comes out next week in the UK? I ordered it through amazon.co.uk for the bargain price of eleven pounds. Glad I didn't get that Classic mono vinyl now.

Supposedly the early mix of ICSFM is interesting - single tracked, count-off and "sans overdubs", or so I'm told.

UK single mix of Someone's Coming.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 am

Jeff T. wrote:Yes, but that Classic Mono issue was priced fair at $24.99 (or less at Amoeba) and came with a rare poster reprint.

I wanted that poster.

From thewho.com:
"The initial quantities include limited edition replica of Osiris Visions poster that was packaged only with the original first pressing of album."

I'm not sure how many copies="initial quantities". Last time I walked through Best Buy though, there were still plenty of "special edition" Endless Wires.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:41 am

I'm really looking forward to the unreleased versions of Glittering Girl and Summertime Blues.

IIRC Glittering Girl is a completely different performance recorded several months after the version on the '95 reissue and Summertime Blues is a studio version recorded a few months before the studio version on the O&S reissue.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:28 am

lukpac wrote:
Rspaight wrote:Any word on this thing that supposedly comes out next week in the UK? I ordered it through amazon.co.uk for the bargain price of eleven pounds. Glad I didn't get that Classic mono vinyl now.

Supposedly the early mix of ICSFM is interesting - single tracked, count-off and "sans overdubs", or so I'm told.

UK single mix of Someone's Coming.

Cool. Do you know if it has a cold ending? I'd much prefer something like that over the 45 mix.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 am

Chris M wrote:Cool. Do you know if it has a cold ending? I'd much prefer something like that over the 45 mix.

Dunno. I guess I'll find out in a few days.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Grrrr. Amazon.co.uk delayed my order for no reason (still showing as "In Stock" on the site). Oh, well, it's not like I have time to listen to it at the moment anyway.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 pm

FYI, the following bonus tracks are listed as being original mixes:

Early Morning Cold Taxi
Coke After Coke
John Mason Cars
Girl's Eyes
Sodding About
Things Go Better With Coke
In The Hall of the Mountain King
Top Gear
Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand (US 45 mix)
Someone's Coming (UK 45 mix)
Jaguar (mono)
Tattoo (early mono mix)
Our Love Was (unused mono mix)
Rotosound Strings (with final note)
I Can See For Miles (early mono mix)
Rael (early mono mix)

The remake of Rael (end of disc 1) is pretty cool. Recorded at IBC in October, 3 months after the album version.

If you want to see what Astley did or didn't do during mastering, I provided Someone's Coming, so...:

Someone's Coming (Deluxe Edition) [16-bit FLAC]
Someone's Coming (original source) [24-bit FLAC]

Last 18 seconds.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Yet another guitar solo on the alternate mix of Our Love Was...

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:09 pm

I just got to hear this. The mastering is terrible (as would be expected) but the bonus material is really cool.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:32 pm

JWB wrote:I just got to hear this. The mastering is terrible (as would be expected) but the bonus material is really cool.

What's so bad about the mastering? For better or worse, the stereo album sounds pretty similar to the old MCA CD.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:03 am

I've only listened to the mono thus far but it sounded fine to me. However, I'm not very picky these days.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Rspaight wrote:I've only listened to the mono thus far but it sounded fine to me. However, I'm not very picky these days.

Perhaps the bar has been lowered over the years, but I was hoping for "not screwed up", which I think the DE achieves. I could do without the limiting, and I think some things could use some heavy EQ, but all in all I don't hear much wrong.

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 pm

The EQ is extremely heavy on the upper mids which gives it a harsh, grating sound (this is the case with much of Astley's work). And on top of that it's very loud. The mastering isn't any worse than, say, Odds And Sods, which I thought you guys hated. Becoming desensitized perhaps?