The Who - Philly '73

Just what the name says.
Chris M

The Who - Philly '73

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Has anyone tried to assemble the complete show in best quality available with the various (partial) sources available?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

the 801

Re: The Who - Philly '73

Postby the 801 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Like THIS or is there more?

The set list on TheWhoLive is very incomplete by comparison...

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:23 am

Chris M wrote:Has anyone tried to assemble the complete show in best quality available with the various (partial) sources available?

I'm sure it has been done a few times.

It is on my "to do" list of things to do. As I have a first gen pressing of the TMOQ Tales vinyl boot, as well as a good Biscuit CD of the remixed b'cast. All I need is WGFA from the VA comp (which I may in fact have) to add to the sequence, and I am ready.

Give me a set list and I'll cut and paste it together. I'm pretty good at cross-fades, making seemless transitions.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:07 am

I think the audio posted at Wolfgang's Vault may trump Tales From The Who for the common tracks since they are pre-FM. AFAIK all versions of Tales From The Who are sourced from someone taping a FM broadcast.

We have the 9 tracks that were remixed in '99 or so, WGFA from the King Biscuit comp, the 2 (I think) Philly tracks from View From A Backstage Pass and the audio of the complete show on Wolfgang's Vault. This is pre-FM but sounds like a narrow stereo mix and (AFAIK) is only available in lossy form. Anyone know for sure what View From A Backstage Pass tracks are from Largo?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:33 am

Chris M wrote:I think the audio posted at Wolfgang's Vault may trump Tales From The Who for the common tracks since they are pre-FM. AFAIK all versions of Tales From The Who are sourced from someone taping a FM broadcast.

We have the 9 tracks that were remixed in '99 or so, WGFA from the King Biscuit comp, the 2 (I think) Philly tracks from View From A Backstage Pass and the audio of the complete show on Wolfgang's Vault. This is pre-FM but sounds like a narrow stereo mix and (AFAIK) is only available in lossy form. Anyone know for sure what View From A Backstage Pass tracks are from Largo?

I would be happy to have the best sounding tracks regardless if they come form Largo, Philly, or even DC (as my oldest FM tape recording from the summer of 1975 claimed to be). That's right, I stayed up with my hand on the record button ready to push it at exact right moment.... and got the standard 31 min. version of common tracks.

And yes, the Tales boot is from a FM tape and not all that great. Wolfgang's is out of the question as you can't capture that stuff in good sound. Tales CD sound better than a WG rip would.

1. So the two tracks from View Backstage (if you say so)
2. WGFA from VA comp (no need to have it from WG's if it is here in HQ)
3. Nine tracks from KBFH remix)
4. and remainder from Tales boot CD (sadly this is the best Sea and Sand gets, but I have a CD version that at least is better than the old vinyl boot, it contains 73min. of music, and 3 min. of interview with band. It has very nice stereo separation. So with the VA comp I have enough to do one that is the best it gets until WG's vault is cracked.

I just need to see if I have the VA comp, as I thought I had most of them, but that one is not found just yet.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:26 am

Jeff T. wrote:I would be happy to have the best sounding tracks regardless if they come form Largo, Philly, or even DC (as my oldest FM tape recording from the summer of 1975 claimed to be).

"Largo" = "Landover" = "DC".

And yes, the Tales boot is from a FM tape and not all that great. Wolfgang's is out of the question as you can't capture that stuff in good sound. Tales CD sound better than a WG rip would.

Non-lossy would be ideal, but what's on Wolfgang's seems pretty decent regardless. I've always thought those mixes were *horrible*, but what's up there is still better than I remember it. Maybe I'd change my mind if I heard the Tales boot again, but maybe not...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:34 am

Does this look right? Everything not notated woud be from WV or Tales.

I Can't Explain - '99 remix
Summertime Blues - '99 remix
My Wife - '99 remix
My Generation - '99 remix
I Am The Sea - '99 remix?
The Real Me - '99 remix
Punk & the Godfather - VFABP
I'm One
5:15
Sea & Sand
Drowned - '99 remix
Bell Boy
Dr. Jimmy
WGFA - KBFH comp
Pinball Wizard - '99 remix
See Me, Feel Me
Naked Eye

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:48 am

lukpac wrote:Non-lossy would be ideal, but what's on Wolfgang's seems pretty decent regardless. I've always thought those mixes were *horrible*, but what's up there is still better than I remember it. Maybe I'd change my mind if I heard the Tales boot again, but maybe not...

It's the performances that are ragged and very loose. I just listened to Sea and Sand from the Tales CD version, and it just is a wreck. Now granted a Who wreck is better than most bands will ever be.

I need to listen to WG's version again. Because if I recall they used the other night we are much less familiar with right? I'm still confused about what is Largo and what is Philly. Seems two nights were taped. I recall WG's show being a little tighter than the old KBFH b'cast. Like the Biscuit picked the wrong night when deciding to make a Flower Hour out of it. Because the bad tape synch on The Real Me intro (on KBFH) is not evident on the WG version. It looks like the Biscuit people picked the lesser show to broadcast.

Another thing is that the broadcast reels of the Stones 73 KBFH (two different air shows 74/74) were mastered to that wonderful "Heading For an Overload" boot. So someone has the Who 73 show reels (pre-FM) as well right? Mt tales boot CD is the cleanest I have heard the material, but still sounds like FM recorded to reel or good cassette.

Sabbath, SRV, Stones 78 (four venues) Stones 73 (b'cast show tapes) have all appeared in class A sound. But where are these Who reel tapes? I mean Chris M show have uncovered them by now no?

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:49 am

Chris M wrote:Does this look right? Everything not notated woud be from WV or Tales.

I Can't Explain - '99 remix
Summertime Blues - '99 remix
My Wife - '99 remix
My Generation - '99 remix
I Am The Sea - '99 remix?
The Real Me - '99 remix
Punk & the Godfather - VFABP
I'm One
5:15
Sea & Sand
Drowned - '99 remix
Bell Boy
Dr. Jimmy
WGFA - KBFH comp
Pinball Wizard - '99 remix
See Me, Feel Me
Naked Eye

Did you compare it from the WG set list? The band likely played the same show each of these two nights. I will compare with my vault CDR collection and report back.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:55 am

Jeff T. wrote:I need to listen to WG's version again. Because if I recall they used the other night we are much less familiar with right? I'm still confused about what is Largo and what is Philly. Seems two nights were taped. I recall WG's show being a little tighter than the old KBFH b'cast. Like the Biscuit picked the wrong night when deciding to make a Flower Hour out of it. Because the bad tape synch on The Real Me intro (on KBFH) is not evident on the WG version. It looks like the Biscuit people picked the lesser show to broadcast.

Wolfgang's has both nights in their entirety, sans (I believe) one song that was apparently missing (LROM from Philly).

Listening now, Pete starts The Real Me early in Philly. I Am The Sea wasn't played back in Largo, so there's no error.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/t ... -7962.html
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/t ... -7962.html
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 am

Jeff T. wrote:
It's the performances that are ragged and very loose. I just listened to Sea and Sand from the Tales CD version, and it just is a wreck. Now granted a Who wreck is better than most bands will ever be.

I need to listen to WG's version again. Because if I recall they used the other night we are much less familiar with right? I'm still confused about what is Largo and what is Philly. Seems two nights were taped. I recall WG's show being a little tighter than the old KBFH b'cast. Like the Biscuit picked the wrong night when deciding to make a Flower Hour out of it. Because the bad tape synch on The Real Me intro (on KBFH) is not evident on the WG version.

Man, the Philly Sea and Sand is one of my favorite Who performances ever. I love how Pete spits out the "jacket's gonna be cut slim and..". Goosebumps. I'm One is just as good. Drowned and Punk are solid.

We didn't have anything from Largo/DC until a few months ago when Wolfgang's Vault started straming some and then eventually all of the show.

I think Philly is a much better performance. I've only listened to Largo twice but IIRC Pete was having some serious gear problems and Keith was having an off night. I think KGFH picked the best night. The start of Largo/DC The Real Me is better though. I guess that is what Astley was alking about when he mentioned patching in bits of LArgo into Phlly (Philly was nearly released in the late 90's).

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Being one of the most obtainable Who boots ever, I've had this broadcast memorized since 1980 or so. I never cared for the awful original mix of it and I don't think any version is astonishingly better than another to the average listener. Don't mean to sound so ho-hum - it really is a favorite of mine, the sound quality is too good to be a boot but not good enough to be a legit release.

BUT, a few months back on one of the torrent sites, someone claimed to have a quadrophonic mix of the broadcasted show. Now that would be something! I haven't seen it show up and question it's existence but I suppose there is a possibility. Has anyone heard anything about this?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:36 pm

elcelc wrote:BUT, a few months back on one of the torrent sites, someone claimed to have a quadrophonic mix of the broadcasted show. Now that would be something! I haven't seen it show up and question it's existence but I suppose there is a possibility. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Wasn't it just a matrixed mix?

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:44 pm

lukpac wrote:
elcelc wrote:BUT, a few months back on one of the torrent sites, someone claimed to have a quadrophonic mix of the broadcasted show. Now that would be something! I haven't seen it show up and question it's existence but I suppose there is a possibility. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Wasn't it just a matrixed mix?

All early b'casts up to 88 were a SQ encoded quad mix. But I think it was mainly ambient in rear channels amyway.

One could get the very late radio station CDs of this show, and still they would decode.

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Wow, you know how long it takes to search for Largo/Landover/Washington/Philly? Finally found it on TTD from 1zeppelin2:
"This comes directly from the pre-FM reel sent out by KBFH ....
This is a Quad matrix and can be played back through a Quad decoder to make it into 4 channels.
The opening track of this has the original announcement by KBFH's host, Bill Minkin saying this is in QUADRAPHONIC and STEREO.
In order to head off any other needless quickie remasters, I sent a copy to someone who will be working on a QUAD remaster which should be a final and definitive version."

After re-reading the comments, I'm still not clear if this has been or can be split into four separate channels.