A Quick One Box

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

Re: A Quick One Box

Postby Rspaight » Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Back to the important stuff about this release. I'm surprised you didn't mention the credit for "Kit Rambert."
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: A Quick One Box

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:26 pm

lukpac wrote:Mind you, I only spent about 5 minutes playing around, but it seemed as if when I matched the EQ, there was a fair amount more hiss on the JPN CD.

Listening again, a bit more carefully EQ and level matched, I'm not sure how I came up with that. The hiss seems to be just about the same after compensating.

Sources aside, the box is about 3.3dB louder than I'm A Boy; the limiting is plainly visible. That combined with the (admittedly minor) NR makes I'm A Boy a better source for further remastering, IMO.

*That* said, So Sad About Us and the title track sound pretty good when EQ'd. The title track is less limited than on the 2003 CD and has *much* more gentle EQ on the fade, and So Sad actually has no NR on the fade. I'd say at the moment the box is the best place for those two tracks.

I still think the stereo disc is fairly listenable, with the exception of those 3 tracks. EQ makes it better though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD