The Who - Something's Coming mixes

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

The Who - Something's Coming mixes

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Reposting this.

owsley wrote:There are four different mixes of Someone's Coming that have been released:
1) stereo mix on MCA Sellout reissue CD
2) US Decca 'Magic Bus' 45 single mix (double tracked vocals as you point out)
3) UK Track 'Miles' 45 and general European 45 mix: single tracked vocal, remixed backing track with reverb
4) UK Track 'Miles' 45 - different mono mix appears on certain pressings(!) No one I know of knows about this rare variation.....you read it here first

A few questions on this...:

1) What is different about mix 4? What "certain pressings" can it be found on? Single or double-tracked vocal?
2) Am I correct in assuming this is mix 3?
3) Does anyone have a version that sounds better than the link above? That hasn't been declicked at all, but it isn't too noisy to begin with.

Also, as an FYI, it seems like the version on the Rarities CD is taken from the "Best of Who vol. 2" LP from France. Same speed difference, similar fake stereo, and nearly identical overall sound. Either that, or the version on the French LP is lifted from another LP master with the same processing.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:34 pm

JWB made a great transfer on his Singles disc, IIRC.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Well where the hell is he?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm here. My transfer comes from the I Can See For Miles UK single. I have to dig it up though. My belongings are a mess. Can't you post it Dave?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm just wondering how it compares to the clip I posted...

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 am

lukpac wrote:I'm just wondering how it compares to the clip I posted...

I think your clip sounds a bit better, seems like the same mix, but here's my rip so you can judge for yourself...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZENM8UOJ

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 am

Hmm, did you do some EQ on your copy? It sounds a little different.

There's a spot or two on yours that seems to have less groove distortion than mine. Oh well. Although the end of mine is cleaner (which I didn't post I guess).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Here's the whole damn thing (slightly different transfer):

Someone's Coming (45 mix) [24-bit WAV]

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:05 am

Mine is definitely smoother. Alas, here is my new remaster of my transfer with the end spliced on from yours. I balanced out the EQ and got rid of some tinniness. Let me know what you think!

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZseVdxbEo5RlkwTVE9PQ

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:55 am

The EQ seems nice. I'm not sure if the transfer is necessarily superior or not.

Whatever the case...we'll see what happens soon.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: The Who - Something's Coming mixes

Postby lukpac » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:06 pm

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:11 pm

lukpac wrote:Also, as an FYI, it seems like the version on the Rarities CD is taken from the "Best of Who vol. 2" LP from France. Same speed difference, similar fake stereo, and nearly identical overall sound. Either that, or the version on the French LP is lifted from another LP master with the same processing.

I just did some listening. I was wrong.

Using the copy of the UK 45 I have here as a reference, here's what I've found:

- UK 45: Loud bass resonance from John at the end, with some echo at the very end. Mono.
- Magic Bus stereo LP: Sped up about .5%. The bass is faded at the end before it starts to resonate. No echo on the end. Different vocal tracks used. I probably wouldn't have noticed without playing it side by side with the UK 45, but something is different with the vocals. Either one mix has an additional vocal, or a vocal track was re-recorded.
- Magic Bus CD: Seems to be the same as the stereo LP, only from a true mono tape. The sound is mono, but with some stereo tape artifacts, indicating a mono tape was played using a stereo head.
- Best of Who vol 2 (France): Sped up about 2.5-3%. Fake stereo. Same mix as the UK 45.
- Rarities CD: Sped up about 2.5-3%. Fake stereo. Same mix as on Magic Bus.

I'm not sure what the correct speed is. I should compare with the stereo remix - one would assume that would be at the correct speed.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:24 am

Something useful from O&S:

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:49:32 -0500
Subject: [Oddsandsods] Someone's Coming: the two UK mono 45 mixes
To: oddsandsods

OK here's the deal with Track single 604011.

Depending on the matrix number determines which mix of Someone's Coming it is. It appears the 'common' version is stamped 604011 - B. If you look at the single from the outer edge to the center, the matrix number is printed right side up. The 2nd mix is identified by 604011 B 1 (there is an upside down triangle between the B and 1). This matrix number appears upside down looking at the single from outer edge to the center.

The 'common' mix 604011 - B was issued in Sweden and I'm betting this same mix appears on other Euro Polydor pressings of this coupling. It is different from the US single mix because it features mainly one Daltrey vocal (slightly double tracked in places). There is noticable reverb added to the drums. The song ends with a bass guitar note followed by some mysterious howling (ghosts!). The US single is double tracked vocals throughout and ends with horns.

Now the rare mix 604011 B 1 is similar to 604011 -B but there is no reverb on the drums. But at the end of the second bridge just after "then you'll sneak out here to meeeeeeeee", there is noticable reverb and echo added at the end of that final sustained 'B' note/chord for a couple of seconds before returning to the begining to the 'E' chord that starts the main horn riff. The song ends with the bass note but is cut off before the final 'twang' (no ghosts on this mix).

So that makes a total of 3 mono mixes and 1 true stereo mix of 'Someone's Coming' that have been officially released of this underrated Entwhistle song. By the way, was this the only Entwhistle Who composition that Daltrey sang lead vocals on?

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Mine is the "common" mix.

So which mixes appear on which CD's? My brain hurts.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:00 pm

By the way, was this the only Entwhistle Who composition that Daltrey sang lead vocals on?

I know this is Mark's question and not yours, but there are some Daltrey-sung Entwistle songs on the Kenney Jones albums, in addition to "Had Enough."
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney