Otis Redding Query

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Otis Redding Query

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:41 pm

Has "Otis Blue" ever shown up in stereo on CD? It seems as if the reissues of it recently have all been in mono. For that matter, how about any Redding material released in stereo but reissued by Rhino in mono?

Or am I going to have to search out vinyl for these?

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:03 am

I don't have an answer to your question, but is there a reason you want this stuff in stereo? The Stax stereo LPs I have [including OB] sport vocals hard right and horns left with other instruments varying. Not my favorite way to listen to Otis.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:07 am

Yeah, I'm aware of how they were recorded. Doesn't bother me...

FWIW, Stax was mono only until mid-1965 - the Otis Blue session - when they got a stereo machine. I believe they got a 4-track sometime in early 1966, at which point the stereo mixes became more balanced.

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:07 am

lukpac wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of how they were recorded. Doesn't bother me...

FWIW, Stax was mono only until mid-1965 - the Otis Blue session - when they got a stereo machine. I believe they got a 4-track sometime in early 1966, at which point the stereo mixes became more balanced.

Good morning, Luke :wink:

OTIS BLUE turned up(on CD) in Japan in stereo. But three important tracks--"Respect," "Ole Man Trouble" and "I've Been Loving You(Too Long)"[Lp verson]--were re-recordings, just like the original Stax stereo Lp.

The mono Lp had the first two songs in the original 45 take/mix, but the latter was the re-recording in mono. Go figure!

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:47 am

I'm aware of the re-recordings. While I haven't heard the others, I do prefer the stereo/LP take of I've Been Loving You Too Long.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:48 am

Two more things:

1) What's the info on that Japanese CD?

2) I just saw "The Ultimate Otis Redding" at Borders. Apparently part of the 1986 series. Stereo when available, I'd assume? Unfortunately it's low on Sam Cooke covers.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:24 pm

lukpac wrote:I just saw "The Ultimate Otis Redding" at Borders. Apparently part of the 1986 series. Stereo when available, I'd assume?

Might as well answer my own question. Everything that should be in stereo is (ie, Otis Blue and beyond), except Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song), which is from Dictionary Of Soul. Did that song ever see a stereo release? Odd, as it was recorded in mid-1966, well after Stax got a stereo machine.

Also odd that those early Redding LPs recorded and released in stereo have been reissued in mono, while the Sam & Dave LPs from the same era were reissued in stereo in the same series (Atlantic & Atco Remasters from the early '90s). Especially since the second S&D album is *really* hissy in stereo.

So what's the deal with the Japanese Otis CDs?

MK

Postby MK » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:15 pm

Is the MFSL Ultradisc of "Otis Blue" stereo? Perhaps this is something to ask on SteveHoffman.tv, if anyone wants to pass it on over there.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

CDJones

Postby CDJones » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:24 pm

MK wrote:Is the MFSL Ultradisc of "Otis Blue" stereo? Perhaps this is something to ask on SteveHoffman.tv, if anyone wants to pass it on over there.

Nope, mono. But with killer bass.

I've seen the OB stereo sleeve, but had always assumed it was rechanneled...

Steve