Who Kilburn '77 on DVD

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

Who Kilburn '77 on DVD

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:23 pm

Wasn't this supposed to be wretched?

http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/ ... ctID=79346
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

You beat me to it. Yeah, I can't quite figure it out, other than it's easy because they own it and have high quality film and audio elements.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1595
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm actually more interested in the Coliseum stuff:

Two incredible concerts - totalling 138 minutes!
Kilburn Songs: "Can?t Explain," "Substitute," "Baba O'Reilly (Teenage Wasteland)," "My Wife / Going Mobile," "Behind Blue Eyes," "Dreaming from the Waist," "Pinball Wizard," "I'm Free," "Tommy?s Holiday Camp," "Summertime Blues," "Shakin' All Over," "My Generation," "Join Together," "Who Are You?," "Won't Get Fooled Again"

London Coliseum Songs: "Heaven and Hell," "Can't Explain," "Fortune Teller," "Tattoo," "Young Man Blues," "A Quick One While He's Away," "Happy Jack," "I'm a Boy," "I'm Free," "Tommy's Holiday Camp," "See Me, Feel Me," "Summertime Blues," "Shakin? All Over," "My Generation"

Plus 70 minutes of rare Coliseum bonus tracks and extended versions including the first-ever long performance of Tommy: "A Quick One While He's Away," "Overture," "It's a Boy, " "1921," "Amazing Journey," "Christmas," "Acid Queen," "Pinball Wizard," "Do You Think It's Alright," "Fiddle About," "Tommy Can You Hear Me?," "There's a Doctor," "Go to the Mirror," "Smash the Mirror," "Miracle Cure," "Sally Simpson," "Tommy's Holiday Camp," ""I'm Free," "We're Not Gonna Take It"
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:35 pm

On the trailer the Coliseum stuff is fake stereo. I'd hope they would at least use mono for the actual release.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:48 pm

lukpac wrote:On the trailer the Coliseum stuff is fake stereo. I'd hope they would at least use mono for the actual release.

The London Coliseum clips on the Amazing Journey DVD and the Kids reissue are fake stereo as well. Hell, most of the fucking Tanglewood clips on the Amazing Journey film are fake stereo. It looks like the source for Tanglewood was the 30 Years DVD and a bootleg. The best band in the world deserves better.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 am

The Kilburn stuff on the Blu-Ray looks and sounds pretty good. The performance is sloppy as hell, though surprisingly everyone sucks, not just Moon (though Moon may actually be a bit better here than Shepperton). (Well, Entwistle is reliable as always.) At one point (after a botched attempt at "I'm Free") Townshend gets royally pissed off and declares the whole thing a waste of time from the stage. As a rock performance, it's pretty grim, but for those of us who enjoy Who psychodrama, it's a goldmine.

Conversely, the Coliseum material looks and sounds horrible, but the performance is great. As noted above, some sort of intrusive voodoo was done to the mono source to get it into 5.1, but quite honestly the underlying track sounds so terrible that additional processing can't hurt it too much. The video is brutally awful, and looks exactly like what you would expect film found in a dumpster to look like.

Well worth having for a hardcore Who fan, but I can't imagine anyone else getting much out of it.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:43 pm

I had seen Kilburn on PBS when it aired, and saw it again on Monday in the theatre (along with a handful of Coliseum songs). If anything, I think Moon is actually pretty good - he's *far* better on Baba than at Shepperton.

I still can't get over the fake stereo for the Coliseum audio. It sounded terrible in the theatre.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:12 pm

Yeah, Baba is the one where I thought, "You know, he's doing a lot better here than Shepperton." Whereas the received wisdom has always been that he was the reason Kilburn got canned. If anything, Townshend and Daltrey let the side down here. Daltrey's in good voice but he blows lines left and right, and Townshend is so annoyed at even being there that he can't be bothered.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 pm

The assessment of Pete being drunk seems to be true as well.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Ya think?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re:

Postby lukpac » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:05 am

Rspaight wrote:Conversely, the Coliseum material looks and sounds horrible, but the performance is great. As noted above, some sort of intrusive voodoo was done to the mono source to get it into 5.1, but quite honestly the underlying track sounds so terrible that additional processing can't hurt it too much. The video is brutally awful, and looks exactly like what you would expect film found in a dumpster to look like.

Well worth having for a hardcore Who fan, but I can't imagine anyone else getting much out of it.

Watching the Coliseum show for the first time now, other than brief sampling. Two things are jumping out at me as being really obnoxious:

1) Pan and scan. For Heaven and Hell, anyway, most shots are from the "straight ahead and back" camera. The picture "zooms" and moves around a bit, focusing on John and then Pete and such, but it's all fake. It's clear the camera isn't moving, and the movement is just panning around to different parts of the film frame. Super annoying. Fortunately this seems to subside after a few songs (so far).

2) Canned applause. I don't have headphones on now, but the applause seems to be much higher quality than the show itself, and it seems to be in stereo. It seems to be really bad on Young Man Blues. Ugh.

Fortunately, the performance is good, and the picture actually isn't too bad for the most part. That wide shot isn't good, but most of the other closer shots have a good amount of detail.

Anyone else notice this stuff?