Stones to leave Virgin and move to Universal

Just what the name says.
Beatlesfan03

Stones to leave Virgin and move to Universal

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Deal includes their back catalog as well.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Business/Ro ... 7415056677

The Rolling Stones have jumped ship from EMI to Universal Music, in a deal that covers all their future albums and their entire back catalogue.

They are the latest band to turn their backs on EMI.

In a statement, the Stones - with career sales estimated at more than 200 million albums - said: "Universal are forward thinking, creative and hands-on music people.

"We really look forward to working with them."

Universal said they would now be looking at how to adapt the band's music catalogue for the "digital age".

The company had already released the soundtrack from "Shine A Light," director Martin Scorsese's film of a Rolling Stones gig, and that played a major role in convincing the band to switch labels.

A record company veteran close to the band told Sky News Online: "Universal really pulled out the stops for the Shine the Light album, and that really impressed them".

EMI have struggled to hold on to some of their key acts since a takeover by private equity firm Terra Firma in 2007.

When Radiohead left last year, band member Ed O'Brien said the firm "doesn't understand the music industry".

Other acts to protest against the label include Robbie Williams, who decided to hold out on delivering a new album to the company.

His manager said he was not sure anyone in EMI was capable of marketing and promoting it successfully.

In a terse response to the latest news, a spokesman for EMI said: "EMI Music Group wishes the Rolling Stones well in their new venture and looks forward to a continuing relationship with the band through our long-term publishing agreement.

"EMI Music will only ever conclude mutually beneficial agreements with its artists."
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:29 pm

I find it somewhat interesting that the imprint used will apparently be *Polydor*. This is the last of the major groups now:

- 1971 - Atlantic (WEA)
- 197? - EMI (non-US)
- 1984 - CBS/Sony (now Sony/BMG)
- 1993 - Virgin (EMI)

I suppose this will predicate yet *another* round of reissues.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:47 am

Time to fire up the FAQ again. :lol:
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Entire back catalog? Abcko, too?
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:41 pm

I don't think so.

Rolling Stones Switch Labels

Ending months of speculation in the music industry, the Rolling Stones have left EMI, the record label that has released the group’s music since the early 1990s, and signed a long-term recording deal with the Universal Music Group, the company announced on Friday.

The worldwide contract covers three new albums and the rights to release the band’s valuable catalog of music recorded since 1971 for about five years, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations who were not authorized to speak about them publicly. The contract calls for an advance of $15 million and brings the Rolling Stones’ entire output under Universal’s roof, since the company had already distributed the band’s pre-1971 music through the Abkco label.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Any bets that the status of the Virgin CDs will go up once the next round of reissues comes out? "Seek out the Virgin issues!"

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 pm

Pffft. The original Columbia CDs are where the action's at. Or even better, the ultra-rare Atlantic targets.

(I've got a Columbia Rewind if anyone wants to pay off my car for it.)

Seriously, though, the Virgins are probably about as good as they're going to get. Barring some major bonus action (which seems about as likely as a Bill Wyman reunion), I'm set.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:46 am

I can't imagine Uni agreeing to any deal without the inclusion of unissued material.

The 15 mil. is nothing compared to the 50 mil. deals this band was demanding a decade ago.

Oh, did the Shine a Light OST really do gang busters? I forgot it was even issued. I'd better call up my friend, The Lord of the promo copy, and see what's shaken.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:51 am

Rspaight wrote:(I've got a Columbia Rewind if anyone wants to pay off my car for it.)

What's so special about that? Or do you mean Atlantic?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:53 am

I think Rolling Stones, Inc. has diminished expectations for album sales. They're making the big bucks on the road.

I've never seen a bonus track on a Stones album. I mean, ever. (And More Hot Rocks doesn't count. I mean real albums.) Did I miss it? Even when it would make sense (combining the US/UK albums), they've treated the LPs as inviolate.

A "Bootleg Series" release of stuff seems more likely. But it would have to be a bit more compelling than that "Rarities" album they put out recently.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:00 am

lukpac wrote:
Rspaight wrote:(I've got a Columbia Rewind if anyone wants to pay off my car for it.)

What's so special about that? Or do you mean Atlantic?

No, nothing special (it sounds like dung, to boot). Just poking fun.

I did hold a then-common, shrink-wrapped, longbox-enclosed Atlantic Rewind in my clammy paws several times in 1985 or so, but never pulled the trigger. Given a time machine, I'd pick it it up and unload it now for $$$.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

Rspaight wrote:I think Rolling Stones, Inc. has diminished expectations for album sales. They're making the big bucks on the road.

I've read elsewhere that the RSR catalog is not a good seller. Supposedly it has more to do with prestige than sales.

I wouldn't hold my breath for bonus tracks or deluxe editions. It was a big enough surprise when the RSR live albums came back into print after a few years. We should expect previously unreleased material when Mick doesn't even seem to be interested in material that's already been released?

Rspaight wrote:I did hold a then-common, shrink-wrapped, longbox-enclosed Atlantic Rewind in my clammy paws several times in 1985 or so, but never pulled the trigger. Given a time machine, I'd pick it it up and unload it now for $$$.

I stumbled across a copy a few months ago for $7.99 or something. First time I've ever seen one. Smooth sided jewel case! :D 8) :lol: :wink: :!:

Tom Stroud

Postby Tom Stroud » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:22 am

All idle speculation of course but I'm more hopeful of things to satisfy fans coming from Universal than Virgin.

Universal are pretty good at *working* their material. They like to get product out there. Check the repro singles box sets and the Rolled Gold set which I think were all co-ordinated in the UK rather than being Abcko driven. Universal are also regularly putting deluxe editions out there.

Imagine a parallel universe where the Stones catalogue gets mined as often as The Who's..... who are also on Polydor let's not forget. Virgin aren't really known for their reissues.

Yes it all depends on what the band will sign off but we are now at the 40th anniversary of the Beggars through Exile years so this may lend itself to some treats for fans. With the catalogue all at one label these days it might lead to a bit more co-operation at least.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 am

lukpac wrote:I've read elsewhere that the RSR catalog is not a good seller. Supposedly it has more to do with prestige than sales.

Sure. That's the same reason Dylan still had a deal with Columbia throughout the 80s and 90s when he was pumping out shitty albums and the catalog was mildewed with neglect. It's a prestige thing.

I'd imagine they move a few copies of Exile and Sticky (and maybe Some Girls) and whatever the latest hits comp is, but I doubt the public is exactly lining up for Undercover or Emotional Rescue (or Goat's Head Soup or anything, really).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:06 am

Rspaight wrote:I'd imagine they move a few copies of Exile and Sticky (and maybe Some Girls) and whatever the latest hits comp is, but I doubt the public is exactly lining up for Undercover or Emotional Rescue (or Goat's Head Soup or anything, really).

I think I *still* don't own copies of Black and Blue or Dirty Work in any format.