Stones to leave Virgin and move to Universal

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 am

For some reason, the Virgin Black and Blue started selling for about eight bucks a while back, so I picked it up. I've got an original-issue Dirty Work LP I picked up used at some point. "One Hit (To The Body)" and the bizarre comic strip on the inner sleeve was worth the $4 I paid. (And weirdly it's a really good sounding, quiet LP, eighties Lillywhite production notwithstanding.)
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Rspaight wrote:For some reason, the Virgin Black and Blue started selling for about eight bucks a while back, so I picked it up. I've got an original-issue Dirty Work LP I picked up used at some point. "One Hit (To The Body)" and the bizarre comic strip on the inner sleeve was worth the $4 I paid. (And weirdly it's a really good sounding, quiet LP, eighties Lillywhite production notwithstanding.)

I can one-up you here: I got my CBS "Dirty Work" CD for $2 (my LP, by contrast, was $1.50).
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Oh, yeah? I got my CBS Some Girls CD for free, back before all the kids were doing it. A friend of mine bought a copy, and there were TWO discs inside the jewel case.

I don't if that means some poor schmuck got an empty one, but no complaints from me. I even cut up the longbox into a passable imitation of the real jewel case inserts...
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I found the Virgins to sound exactly like the old CBS, only louder. Except Sticky & Exile, which have been "pumped up" on certain tracks. I'm curious to see what the new ones will sound like. Does this mean that 40 Licks is going out of print?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:04 am

Does this mean that 40 Licks is going out of print?

New Stones comps for everyone!

I think they should release a massive box set of all the major-label best-ofs over the years. They could call it Moss.

Tom Stroud

Postby Tom Stroud » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:46 am

Not sure about 40 Licks. If the deal with Virgin hadn't expired I would have thought it would have stayed on catalogue for a while as a fairly servicable hits compilation.

That said, would you now *reissue* something that relates to a passed anniversary and an old tour? Given that you could stick something on from A Bigger Bang, resequence it a bit and then market the hell out of it again.

It's possible too that they could restructure the contents a bit too. The 1 disc Abcko / 1 disc Virgin split was a contractual thing about percentages that might not be necessary now that it's all Universal. Might still be necessary though if that is the kind of thing that brings Abcko to the party.

I think some of this will come down to time. Universal will want the stuff out ASAP. If there isn't an album or tour forthcoming (and AFAICS there isn't) then the focus will be about these reissues rather than (as with the Abcko lot) a kind of bolt-on to a larger project.

Yeah we were all excited by the Beggars upgrade et al but I reckon Mick and the average guy got more out of the shows and a bunch of merchandise with tongues on it..... Done well though, a new set of reissues / comps / rarities could be a moneyspinner in its own right.

Give us stuff we actually want, a limited and not at all taxing bit of promo work for Mick and maybe Keith, the money rolls in. Otherwise - yeah - will anyone actually really need to buy Steel Wheels in 2008?