Bill Inglot - Then and Now

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Bill Inglot - Then and Now

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Flo and Eddie's first two albums finally made it to CD a few months back. I'm a giant fan of the first album, which is also just a great sounding record...very warm, very vibrant. Starting in the early-80s, Bill Inglot started rereleasing some of the songs from that record on various Turtles/Flo and Eddie comps, and he tended to favor a fairly bright EQ that departed quite noticably from the original album's tone. As such, I was curious to see what he'd do with the material in 2008....

...and I have to say, I'm a bit perplexed. He's basically used the same EQ I recognize from Solid Zinc: a bit toppy, yet somehow *missing* something in the high-end (I have the same problem with the DSD Aftermath). Check out this MP3, which alternates between "Nikki Hoi" on "The Best of Flo and Eddie" and the recent reissue.

(and yes, this is easily my least favorite song on the album)

http://drop.io/nikkicompare
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 am

I listened to that really quick, but is that in three sections? The middle section sucks. The first and last sound much better.

Inglot's recent mastering work sucks donkey nuts. Solid Zinc makes my ears bleed. The Yardbirds set is horrifying. His awful work on the Monkees "Headquarters" deluxe edition has to be heard to be believed. Again I'm in the minority on SHTV because I won't suck that Monkees biographer's dick and worship everything him and Inglot put out. But anyway, yeah. It blows.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 pm

It is in three sections. You identified them correctly.

I have no idea why he decided to go with this distinctly odd EQ.

Solid Zinc doesn't make "my ears bleed," but the EQ on that is off as well...and is nowhere near as good as basically every prior iteration of the Turtles' material.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911