HOLY @#$#@ - Velvets and Modern Lovers

Just what the name says.
MK

HOLY @#$#@ - Velvets and Modern Lovers

Postby MK » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:21 am

From a Libertines forum:

The Gymnasium, NYC

I'm not into VU bootlegs really, but apparently this is a big deal. It's the ONLY available live stuff from 1967 and has only become available in literally the last two days. Recorded just after the release of The Velvet Underground And Nico and featuring the debut performance of Sister Ray (19 mins long) and the *previously unheard* song I'm Not A Young Man Any More. That's right, A NEW VELVET UNDERGROUND SONG. And it's fucking good too. This version of Sister Ray absolutely shreds and is what the Velvet Underground are all about.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9zcetzynbvo

"Guess I'm Falling In Love" sounds like the same version on the Peel Slowly box set. But it doesn't have "Booker T." from the box set (also recorded at the Gymnasium in April of '67, though what night/time, who knows?).

In the meantime, I saw this:

http://jojofiles.blogspot.com/2007/10/g ... found.html

Modern Lovers had been released, a new one just appears...
This is Stonehenge in Ipswich, Ma probably end of 71 beginning of 72 according to its finder, rock archaelogist Doug C. who was kind enough to share this treasure and uploaded it on Dimeadozen. Doug is well known to the members of the old Jonathan list to which he used to be a regular contributor.

This gem consists of a two set gig of the Modern Lovers:
First Set 1. Modern World 2. Ride Down on the Highway 3. Girlfriend 4. She Cracked 5. Womanhood 6. Old World

Second Set 1. Fly Into the Mystery 2. Dignified and Old 3. Pablo Picasso 4. Cambridge Clown 5. Astral Plane 6. Song of Remembrance for Old Girlfriends 7. Such Loneliness 8. I Grew Up in the Suburbs 9. A Plea for Tenderness (incomplete) 10. Roadrunner (cut)

The sound is very good compared to the other early live recordings and there are rare songs here like "Cambridge clown", "Song of remembrance" or totally unknown ones like "I grew up in the suburbs". This last one is another lost Jonathan classic tune, nervous velvet type guitar and landscape lyrics a la roadrunner : "I grew up in the suburbs, lived by the neon lights..".
Jonathan sketched his band on this flyer. Left to right are David Robinson, Jonathan, Ernie Brooks, John Felice and Jerry Harrison

You never heard "Pablo Picasso" delivered this drumming way, in the intro to the song Jonathan says that the drummer is going to switch to guitar, the guitar player to the organ and so on but he will stick to his singing part. "She cracked" seems to have different lyrics at some point.

Anyone have this??? I haven't been on dime in over a year, so I've lost my account!
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

the 801

Re: HOLY @#$#@ - Velvets and Modern Lovers

Postby the 801 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:58 pm

MK wrote:In the meantime, I saw this:

http://jojofiles.blogspot.com/2007/10/g ... found.html

(snip)

Anyone have this??? I haven't been on dime in over a year, so I've lost my account!

Check your PM.