The wonderful world of Japanese CDs

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

The wonderful world of Japanese CDs

Postby Xenu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:05 am

So as some of you may know, I am currently in Japan. On my totally touristtastic journeys, I have found time to stop into a few CD stores.

In summary:

Dear lord.

It's distinctly odd to see so much sh.tv sploogerificness together in one place...or in so many places. Cp32s! Black triangles! Irritating first pressings of things! P33L Stones discs! They are all fairly common, although even used they are fairly expensive. Pig Whisperer must be making a mint offa this, though.

I do have to say, though, that audio content aside, many of these Japanese discs are really intriguing from an aesthetic standpoint. For example, there were at least TWO issues of the Byrds discs pre-remaster in Japan, and they both look so much nicer than the shitty US CBS CDs that it isn't even funny. Remember, Japanese CDs are in print for a very limited time, although they sometimes get "instareissued" with new catalog nos when they go out of print. This is something that just doesn't happen elsewhere. So, for example, you get the original CBS versions of the Stones RSR catalog (looking, I should point out, quite mercenary) and then far nicer--but presumably identical audio-wise--Sony discs from around the time of the Stones' Japanese Steel Wheels tour.

I obviously have not picked up much, due to the overwhelming cost and the fact that I have to lug these things around. Apart from some Japanese albums I wanted, I limited myself to some "magical first pressing" Lennon CDs that were on beat-up clearance, and a P33P issue of Live at Leeds that has (atypical for major-label reissues) incredibly poorly transcribed liner-notes that are an absolute hoot.

Anyway, I have three days to go...so if anybody wants me to be on the lookout for things, send me a PM (and get ready to Paypal...)

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:19 pm

The funniest is when the Japanese try to transcribe Frank Zappa. Sometimes what they come up with is even funnier than the actual lyrics.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:51 pm

The Byrds CD's from Japan that I have managed to pick up in the past year are really nice. The look of the disc label suggested that they might be the remasters but upon first listen they are definitely the original versions. The discs I have are from the SRCS and 28DP series.Perhaps those are the same series of discs you saw in your travels?
Barry

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:18 am

Probably. 28DP looks somewhat older, right? The SRCS discs looked...early 90s-ish.

Which titles do you have?
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Xenu wrote:Probably. 28DP looks somewhat older, right? The SRCS discs looked...early 90s-ish.

Which titles do you have?

The older discs are the 28DP's and the SRCS IIRC are from '94. I sent a PM with the titles I have added to date. The SRCS disc labels are dead ringers for the Anesisni USA discs but they do sound different compared to my USA remasters. The SRCS releases were the first Japan issues for many Byrds discs.
Barry