Paint It Black / Guitar Hero

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:16 pm

lukpac wrote:WTF?! That's the normal version of Leaving Here, *not* the alternate from the Deluxe Edition? They got the multi for that? Or are they employing some type of DES or something?

Well, Baba is just a bunch of heavy EQ. Not much in terms of separation. You do get Roger's isolated vocal I guess. You get a bit of isolated organ on the "catch all" tracks, but when the piano comes in it brings along the drums and bass with it. Some strange filtering going on...

Same deal with Leaving Here, although they actually didn't do too bad of a job getting the centered vocal to drop out.

On to some of the others that should be the real deal...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Damn...

Leeds tracks have two drum tracks - 1 bass drum, 1 kit (spread across 2 tracks with a touch of reverb). Sea and Sand has *three* - bass drum plus stereo kit. Pretty cool...

Sounds like a mix of 3 or 4 different guitars (in stereo) on Sea and Sand.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for the link!!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Another note - it would seem as if the backing vocals on My Generation were overdubbed in the studio. *Very* clean. I'll have to see how the various releases stack up in comparison.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:17 pm

lukpac wrote:Another note - it would seem as if the backing vocals on My Generation were overdubbed in the studio. *Very* clean. I'll have to see how the various releases stack up in comparison.

The vocals on Live At Leeds Complete seem to match.

Pete's vocal mic does seem to cut out about 24 seconds before My Generation on LALC. Perhaps the reason for the overdubbed vocals was purely technical?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:57 pm

That's...big. Why have we never heard of this before?

Random question: does the audience tape of Leeds have John's first line in "Heaven and Hell?"

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:00 am

elcelc wrote:Thanks for the link!!

It seems to be dead?
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:30 am

Xenu wrote:That's...big. Why have we never heard of this before?

Random question: does the audience tape of Leeds have John's first line in "Heaven and Hell?"

I thought Fang had something years ago about backing vocals being redone. It was pretty vague though. I have to wonder if there were any others.

I could check, but it's hard to do much critical listening with that. I still don't understand why that was redone - what's on LALC really isn't bad at all. The line is *there*, just not quite as clear.

And the link moved:

http://xerotheory.blogspot.com/2008/05/ ... 52308.html

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:41 am

Behind Blue Eyes continues to be a mystery. Supposedly recorded on 8-track, but it always seemed like there were 9 tracks to account for. That still seems to be the case. At the very end of the song, you've got:

- drums (L)
- drums (r)
- bass (c)
- acoustic guitar (r)
- electric guitar (l)
- Roger 1 (c)
- Roger 2 (c)
- backing vocals 1 (l)
- backing vocals 2 (c and r)

On the extraction, everything is separate and distinct, other than the fact that the acoustic guitar is mixed with one of the backing vocal tracks when it switches to the "extra" tracks when the electric guitar comes in. That seems to be a function of the gameplay, though, rather than the way the song was recorded - surely the acoustic guitar was what was recorded live? Actually, now that I'm listening again, there's stereo reverb on the backing vocals there, but not on the guitar. So it is clearly on its own track.

BTW, it sounds like there *might* have been some cymbal work from Keith in the first half of the song that got mixed out. It would be interesting to hear the actual multis to see what was there. Seems like you can hear something on the acoustic guitar track in a couple of places.

Another interesting bit - on the original mix, during "I have hours, only lonely/My love is vengeance, that's never -", there are no backing vocals. They come in for "FREE". It sounds like on the remix they are there, albeit very low in volume, and they don't come up much in volume for "FREE". They are there on the Rock Band mix.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:40 am

lukpac wrote:
Xenu wrote:I could check, but it's hard to do much critical listening with that. I still don't understand why that was redone - what's on LALC really isn't bad at all. The line is *there*, just not quite as clear.

I was idling wondering whether the LALC line as we hear it is an overdub. The '95 overdub just seems so arbitrary...
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:44 pm

Xenu wrote:I was idling wondering whether the LALC line as we hear it is an overdub. The '95 overdub just seems so arbitrary...

I can't imagine that it would be. I'd expect something a lot more clean for a studio overdub.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:54 pm

FYI, I'm listening now, and the first line of H&H is fine on the audience source. I haven't done a sync-up, but it seems to be the same vocal that's on LALC.

elcelc

Postby elcelc » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm just getting started on this tonight finally. A couple other odd things right off, the double tracked violin in Baba seems complete. We normally here only a couple seconds of the second violin.

I was hoping for the alternate 'normal' guitar solo on Going Mobile that we hear a snippet of on that Making of Who's Next documentary.

Eminence Front uses the bass line from the remaster not the original issue. The remaster sounds like the original for the first half and then switches to a different take- at least that's what I recall.

Good stuff!!

Tom Stroud

Postby Tom Stroud » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:07 pm

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/38416

Jumping Jack Flash; also Wind Cries Mary if this leak is to be believed. It says "live" Purple Haze although I thought the existence of an outtake on the purple box implied they had the multis for the session.

Johnny B Goode and Smells Like Teen Spirit too....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:54 pm

Johnny B Goode? I can't imagine how it could be the original - it was a mono recording. Light My Fire and Jumping Jack Flash seem like odd choices too, since I would assume things are grouped together. Then again, they did use Baba in Rock Band...