Useless Who's Next recording tidbit

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Useless Who's Next recording tidbit

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:56 am

A few years ago when I found out Who's Next was (with the exception of WGFA) an 8-track recording, I tried to figure out how some of the songs were recorded - it seemed like there wouldn't have been enough tracks available. Well, I was watching the Classic Albums DVD again and happened to notice this:

Glyn Johns wrote:[playing synth intro]

Piano comes in in a second, thundering in.

[piano comes in in the left channel]

[hits 'solo' buttons on two tracks, synth goes away, leaving only piano]

There it is. I recorded the rest of the band in stereo with the piano, live. And they'll come thundering in in a second. Moonie will come hurtling in. [laugh] [drums come in] Like a herd of buffalo. There he is. [laugh] Brilliant.

What's interesting is based on what tracks he's playing, at the very least the piano is on the same track as the drums, and it's possible the bass and guitar are as well (unfortunately the DVD cuts away to other clips before anything else comes in). Certainly an unorthodox way of recording (especially since the synth/organ track is on two tracks of its own).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD