"I'm A Boy" in stereo?

Just what the name says.
JWB

"I'm A Boy" in stereo?

Postby JWB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:11 pm

I'm confused about the various versions of this song, and a thread on SHTV didn't make things any clearer.

Am I correct that there are stereo mixes for *both* versions?

What is the best CD to find them, and which version is on the mini LP?

I though the version on Hoffman's MBBB was the second one, but the thread on SHTV says it's the original? I'm confused.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:22 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Here's what I know:

single version, mono - Who's Missing, Direct Hits, etc
single version, stereo - Who's Better, Who's Best, I'm A Boy, etc
single version, stereo remix (missing overdubs) - 30 Years, My Generation: The Very Best of The Who

long version, stereo - MBBB
long version, mono (edited?) - The Ultimate Collection (bonus CD)

For some reason I was thinking maybe the MBBB version was recorded first, but Brian Cady claims it was done a few months later. I know it is mentioned in AAA, but I don't have it in front of me.

IMO, the version on I'm A Boy (with EQ) is the best I've heard of the original, except for the click at the end.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks Luke. That's what I needed to know.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:54 pm

I'm sure all of us know this, but for anyone who might stumble across this thread, the "long version" is a totally different recording from the "single version".
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Luke -

Where is the best place to find the "alternate" mixes of Happy Jack and Pictures Of Lily?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:09 pm

Honestly I don't pay much attention to either of those songs - not really my favorites. Somebody like Andreas might know better.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:51 pm

This may help:

http://forums.lukpac.org/viewtopic.php?t=1687

Anyone seen Andreas lately?

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:30 pm

lukpac wrote:
For some reason I was thinking maybe the MBBB version was recorded first, but Brian Cady claims it was done a few months later. I know it is mentioned in AAA, but I don't have it in front of me.

As I recall, the sessionography that came with the first batch of mini-LP's a few years back had the MBBB version as being recorded first (which admittedly surprised me). Maybe, it's wrong though?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:11 pm

Per Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere:

Sunday, 31 July and Monday, 1 August
Recording/mixing IBC, Studio A: "I'm A Boy," "Disguises," and "In The City," produced by Kit Lambert (his first credited Who production) and engineered by Paul Clay.
[...]
Monday, 3 October
[...]
During the week, "Run Run Run" and a longer remake of "I'm A Boy" were recorded at IBC. (The latter was eventually released on the 1971 compilation Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy.)

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 pm

lukpac wrote:single version, mono - Who's Missing, Direct Hits, etc

Could anyone post a sample from the "Direct Hits" CD? I would like to compare this against the "The Singles" CD.
Last edited by Andreas on Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:35 pm

Andreas wrote:Could anyone post a sample from the "Direct Hits" CD? I would like to comapre this against the "The Singles" CD.

PM sent.