Who ? WBWB CD

Just what the name says.
realgone

Who ? WBWB CD

Postby realgone » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:38 am

Are there any tracks on the Polydor WBWB comp that are from better sources than the US version? Is the European version still the go to cd for any of the tracks that are on it?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:51 am

I don't have that one. I know Andreas does though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Re: Who ? WBWB CD

Postby JWB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:34 am

realgone wrote:Are there any tracks on the Polydor WBWB comp that are from better sources than the US version? Is the European version still the go to cd for any of the tracks that are on it?

It's the best source for "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" and the mono "Magic Bus".

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Can one assume that the Japan POCP series WBWB is a digital clone of the WG (European) version? It has the same track listing IIRC.
Barry

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:01 pm

The tracklisting is the same for all versions. It's the mastering that is different. I don't know what mastering Japan used.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:42 pm

The Japan and USA are not the same mastering, that is for sure. I may just stick with the two versions I have unles I see a Euro version cheap.

Thanks
Barry

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:05 am

Found it. From this thread:

http://forums.lukpac.org/viewtopic.php?t=1687

Andreas wrote:I have now made my first comparison of the Polydor WBWB against the MCA WBWB.

General observation: The Polydor is a bit louder.
Some tracks are from the same digital master.

My Generation, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere: From the same digital master (but at different volumes).
The Kids Are Alright: Polydor has the full length version, and also sounds miles better than the shorter MCA mix.
Substitute: Polydor is mildly duophonic. (Only apparent with headphones). MCA version is pure mono and sounds better.
I'm a Boy: Unpleasant on Polydor, more distortion than on the MCA. Definitely the same mix, though.
Happy Jack, Pictures of Lily: As previously noted, only the MCA has the correct single mixes. Besides that, the Polydor versions sound "closer to the source".
I Can See for Miles: More clarity and punch on the Polydor. Compared to that, the MCA sounds like from a copy tape. Both versions have the complete first note (which is clipped or cross-faded on every other version that I am aware of.)
Who Are You: Couldn't hear a difference.
Won't Get Fooled Again: Polydor has the album version (sounding similar to the Who Collection), MCA has the single mix (sounding worse than The Singles).
Magic Bus: Polydor has the mono mix, MCA the stereo mix, but not with the complete intro as Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy.
I Can't Explain: Couldn't hear a difference.
Baba O'Riley: The Polydor has the same fade-in as on The Who Collection and the old Polydor Sell Out CD. The MCA has narrower stereo image. Both are, of course, not even close to being the best versions on CD.

I didn't listen closely to the remaining tracks, I don't think there were big differences, and all those sound better on other CDs.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:45 am

I would assume the Japanese POCP version would be the same, as I haven't yet found a difference between the various Polydor issues.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911