Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...............

Just what the name says.
MK

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...............

Postby MK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:26 am

British and Dutch police have shut down one of the world's biggest sources of illegally-downloaded music.

A flat on Teesside and several properties in Amsterdam were raided as part of an Interpol investigation into the members-only website OiNK. The UK-run site has leaked 60 major pre-release albums this year alone, said the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).A 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough was arrested on Tuesday morning. The IT worker was led from his home in the town's Grange Road and is being questioned on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and infringement of copyright law.

At the same time his employer - a large multi-national company - and his father's home were also raided. A Cleveland Police spokesman said: "This extremely lucrative and creative scheme consisted of a private file-sharing website being set up. Membership was by invitation only. "The site allowed the uploading and downloading of pre-release music and media to thousands of members. Members paid 'donations' via debit or credit cards, ensuring their continued access to the site."
Users were only invited to join the site if they could prove that they had music to offer, according to an IFPI spokesman.

Unfinished versions

He said: "They were encouraged to distribute recordings in the torrent file format with other OiNK members, and have to keep posting such music to the site to maintain their membership. "Once an album had been posted on the OiNK website, the users that download that music then passed the content to other websites, forums and blogs, where multiple copies were made. Within a few hours of a popular pre-release track being posted on the OiNK site, hundreds of copies can be found further down the illegal online supply chain."

The site's servers, based in Amsterdam, were seized in a series of raids last week. It follows a two-year investigation by music industry bodies the IFPI and the British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Pre-release piracy is particularly damaging to sales as it leads to early mixes and unfinished versions of artists' recordings circulating on the internet months ahead of the release.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7057812.stm
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

MK

Postby MK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:26 am

What happens if you, say, stopped using that site a year ago? They still have your records?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:01 am

Users were only invited to join if they had music to offer? Suuureee.

Hopefully the admins were smart enough to junk records pretty quickly. Given how many people use the site, I'd like to think that people who weren't all over new releases aren't necessarily going to get pounded. I'd like to think that most of us don't have much to worry about.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Can't pretty much anyone get your IP address any time you participate in a torrent?

prof. stoned

Postby prof. stoned » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:49 pm

MK wrote:What happens if you, say, stopped using that site a year ago? They still have your records?

Don't panic...

the 801

Postby the 801 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:12 pm