Lifehouse - there a good, polished re-creation?

Just what the name says.
MK

Lifehouse - there a good, polished re-creation?

Postby MK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Has anyone tried building a Lifehouse from the best pre-existing recordings like Who's Next, the singles, etc?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:18 pm

You mean a Who version, outside of the various things Pete's created over the years? Probably, but I haven't been privy to any. I think some of the huge gaps in the story (c'mon, where's The Who's version of "Mary!") might be problematic.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

MK

Postby MK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:25 am

It's just as well, I'm actually glad the Who released a tight, single LP. For the most part the best songs made it on there.

I tried shuffling some songs around to replicate Lifehouse but it's too up in the air. I keep looking through the wikipedia pages and I keep having the same reaction. "Oh, now 'Naked Eye'/'Water'/etc. is out altogether???" It's impossible to say which would've been THE tracklist.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

MK

Postby MK » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 am

Flipping through the songs I've got loaded on iTunes, I boiled it down to 20 songs. Really a personal compilation rather than an attempt at something 'definitive,' I followed 5 basic guidelines.

1) Has to be a Who performance, no solo demos. 2) Has to be a studio recordings. 3) Has to be a Who original, so no covers (that means you, "Baby Don't Do It"). 4) Has to pre-date "Quadrophenia." 5) Has to officially circulate.

Still working on the track order, but basically here's what I've got so far in my playlist:

Baba O'Riley
Bargain
Love Ain't For Keeping
My Wife
The Song Is Over
Getting In Tune
Going Mobile
Behind Blue Eyes
Won't Get Fooled Again
Let's See Action
The Relay
Join Together
Pure And Easy
Naked Eye
Water
I Don't Even Know Myself
Put The Money Down
Too Much Of Anything
Time Is Passing
Long Live Rock

20 tracks, about 94 minutes (i.e. it can be squeezed into two LP's).

BTW, what's "Mary" like anyway? I've never heard of it. Is the song that good?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 am

MK wrote:My Wife

Not actually part of Lifehouse, FWIW.

BTW, what's "Mary" like anyway? I've never heard of it. Is the song that good?

You've never heard it? It's on Scoop (albeit slightly edited). I like it a lot...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:43 am

Anyone know if the Who's version of Mary was recorded at the Record Plan in NYC or was it recorded in London with Glyn Johns? Astley (I think it was Astley) said the Who version on Mary "was on a disintegrating tape" or something similar. Not sure I believe that..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:14 pm

That's one story I heard. I thought another was it was left in the back seat of a car or something. What, no rough mixes exist?

I'm not sure, but I would assume that what was recorded at the Record Plant has been issued. I want to say it was claimed that Time Is Passing was done there too, but it is very clearly a Glyn Johns recording.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 pm

So who is going to pony up the $50 to get the upcoming 2CD Moon era live set? I'm waiting to see the tracklist. If it has a healthy portion of San Fran '71 then I'm in. I'd also love some tracks from Hull, Oval '71 (which was multitracked) and Philly '73..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:27 pm

FWIW, it's considered gospel that Lifehouse was supposed to end with Song Is Over.

And Long Live Rock wasn't part of it, so far as I know (it was the germ of Quad, IIRC).

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Rspaight wrote:FWIW, it's considered gospel that Lifehouse was supposed to end with Song Is Over.

And Long Live Rock wasn't part of it, so far as I know (it was the germ of Quad, IIRC).

Ryan

Yep, Long Live Rock wasn't recorded until '72, well after Who's Next was released. Speaking of, has anyone heard any Moon era live versions of Long Live Rock? It was played several times on the '72 tour. They also played Daddy Rolling Stone a lot on that tour. Never heard that one either.

MK

Postby MK » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:41 am

Hey, is the "Mary" demo on Lifehouse Chronicles (the multi-disc box set Townshend sold through his website) the same performance/recording as the one on Scoop?

By sheer luck, I actually found a copy of Disc 1 of that box set in a pile of coasters. Don't have the other discs, but regardless, I'm gonna see if this thing still plays, then rip the appropriate tracks and see how the 'intended' tracklist of Lifehouse sounds with the official Who recordings I've got and these demos as gap-fillers.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:53 am

MK wrote:Hey, is the "Mary" demo on Lifehouse Chronicles (the multi-disc box set Townshend sold through his website) the same performance/recording as the one on Scoop?

Same recording, except Scoop has the solo section edited out.

MK

Postby MK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:17 am

For some reason, Wikipedia tags this as the "intended tracklist," but I have my doubts - it's the track order for the two discs of demos on the Lifehouse Chronicles box set, but I'm not sure Pete would've made this the final order.

Having said that, it still works very well, even with "Teenage Wasteland" and "Baba O'Riley" so close together; there's some lyrical overlap but the two tracks are very different musically.

Using the original demos to plug in the gaps didn't seem bad at all - they really didn't stand out in a distracting way.

Just a quick rundown of what I loaded on iTunes:

1. Teenage Wasteland [demo]
2. Going Mobile
3. Baba O'Riley
4. Time Is Passing
5. Love Ain't For Keepin' [need to fade that last note]
6. Bargain
7. Too Much Of Anything
8. Music Must Change
9. Greyhound Girl [demo]
10. Mary [demo]
11. Behind Blue Eyes
12. Baba O'Riley (Instrumental) [demo]
13. Sister Disco

[I think the disc break will work best here]

14. I Don't Even Know Myself
15. Put The Money Down
16. Pure And Easy ('original' Odds & Sods version)
17. Gettin' In Tune
18. Let's See Action
19. Slip Kid
20. Relay (the box set version, with a faded start)
21. Who Are You
22. Join Together
23. Won't Get Fooled Again
24. The Song Is Over

In general, original mixes where possible.