Gene Clark - "American Dreamer" on Raven

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Gene Clark - "American Dreamer" on Raven

Postby Xenu » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:25 pm

Quick question: where does the last "Original Roadmaster Mix" of "Full Circle" come from?

I mean, the obvious answer is "Roadmaster," but it seems to be different from the one on that CD.

Given as Raven generally sources its stuff from other CDs, I'd be surprised if they had access to something previously unreleased, but I've been pleasantly surprised before...
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:36 pm

I've finally gotten around to reading Einarson's book on Gene Clark, and he has the very answer to this question. The album was produced by Chris Hinshaw, and he also did mixes for the 8 completed songs. Then the plug was then pulled on the album. A couple years later Jim Dickson convinced A&M to release the album in Europe. However, the Hinshaw mixes had gone missing, so they took the multi-tracks and Dickson created new mixes. The new Dickson mixes are what appear on both the original LP and the Edsel CD. After the Edsel CD had been released, the original Hinshaw mixes were rediscovered. Presumably the "original Roadmaster mix" is the Hinshaw mix. So yes, it is something previous unreleased.

What do you think of it, by the way? Is there a substantial difference? Einarson makes it sound like the Hinshaw mixes are FAR superior to the Dickson mixes, and says they in some cases features instruments that aren't in the Dickson mixes.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:09 am

I'm not near it at the moment, but IIRC it's a little more "countrified": more prominent acoustics, slightly less prominent electric. There's definitely a substantial difference. I can grab an MP3 if you're so inclined.

Wow, Raven actually originating something? Nifty!
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 pm

-------------

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks David.

Huh. That is a big difference. I miss the prominent Clarence guitar that runs throughout the Dickson mix. It seems to be missing or buried here. But I'd say that overall this Hinshaw mix is better. Has a more coherent, balanced sound and it's nice to hear the drums upfront. It would be nice to hear his mixes of the other seven songs.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:52 am

Any news on that front?
-------------