The Who - I Don't Even Know Myself

Just what the name says.
Andreas

The Who - I Don't Even Know Myself

Postby Andreas » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:20 am

Hi folks,

do you know about the alternate version of that song that appeared as a bonus track on the Japanese version of The Best Of Then And Now? There is a 30 seconds sample on White Fang's site: http://thewho.info/MP3/MP3-s2/71-IDEKM-Who.mp3

When was it recorded compared to the common version, and which version was actually released at its time? Is it correct that the common version (Rarities Vol. 1&2, Who's Missing) was the B-side of Won't Get Fooled Again?

Maybe this was discussed on some of the forums but I seem to have missed it. This one of my favorite Who songs, but I am not sure if I want that Japanese release (Astley mastering).

Phil Elliott

Re: The Who - I Don't Even Know Myself

Postby Phil Elliott » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:59 am

Andreas wrote:Is it correct that the common version (Rarities Vol. 1&2, Who's Missing) was the B-side of Won't Get Fooled Again?

I know nothing of the alternate version, but the above is correct. I have the Track single; it's credited as "Don't Know Myself", and starts with a "3...4..." count in which is omitted from all the CD versions I've heard...
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 pm

Regular version - recorded at Olympic, spring '71

Alternate version - recorded at Eel Pie, 1970 for unreleased EP, along with Water, Naked Eye and Postcard (if I remember correctly)

Let me know if you want to hear. Not great, but not too bad.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:00 am

lukpac wrote:Let me know if you want to hear. Not great, but not too bad.
Yes, of course!

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:59 pm

Clearly, I had the same idea Luke did, but a little after. Hmph.

That version of "Postcard"...what IS it, exactly?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:27 pm

Alt mix, right? I've never studied them that closely.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Yeah, but...like, why? What a random thing to decide to compile.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Since it was to be part of that EP I suppose.