Tommy SACD vs. DVD-A

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:34 pm

So any update on "Smash the Mirror?"

EDIT: Given as I'm home, I decided to do a totally unscientific test and actually listen to the damn SACD. I can only listen in fold-down mode, but I didn't hear the echo on the "Smash the Mirror" vocal (although it could possibly be there regardless). Luke, can you listen to the center channel and see if a) it has the other instruments as on the DVD-A, and b) if there's the slapback echo on Roger's voice? If there isn't...well, that would imply that either the discs are totally different mixes, or that the stems were treated differently for the DVD-A.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Xenu wrote:EDIT: Given as I'm home, I decided to do a totally unscientific test and actually listen to the damn SACD.
Subjectivist.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:45 pm

What "other instruments"?

I don't think I'll be able to tonight.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:58 pm

The center channel of the DVD-A has bass and so on. Does the center channel of the SACD?
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:28 pm

I'll have to check.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD