Jethro Tull: Benefit on CD and Teacher

Just what the name says.
JWB

Jethro Tull: Benefit on CD and Teacher

Postby JWB » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:28 am

I've been comparing Benefit CD's because I'm making my own remaster of the American version for my old man.

First off is the "Originals" mini-LP box set that was manufactured in Europe in 1997. People on SHTV have raved about this version in the past. I grabbed a copy the other day and was annoyed to find that this version has NR...the lousy shitty kind that leaves pumping artifacts...however, it has more dynamics than the remaster...indicating that the remaster is probably compressed. It also has better EQ than the remaster which may explain why people like it.

The remaster has horrible EQ...smiley-faced to the max...making this badly recorded and EQ'd album sound even worse.

HOWEVER, after fixing the EQ and adjusting the levels...the remaster is clearly superior to the "Originals" version...mainly because there is plenty of hiss and it sounds very natural...so despite some compression, this version is the winner (only, keep in mind, after you fix the bad EQ). I cannot hear any noise reduction at all which is a surprise since it was mastered at Abbey Road. Perhaps Ian forbid them to use it?

Then I checked "Inside" and "Alive And Well" from the "Living In The Past" MFSL and I was surprised to find that they do not sound too good there...it sounds like a copy tape with quite a bit of extra hiss. Perhaps they used a "Living In The Past" comp master?

Now let's talk about "Teacher". I have been told over and over again that the remaster has the US mix on it, and not the UK version as the liners indicate. If that is true, then I would like to know why the MFSL "Living In The Past" has a totally different mix, with superior fidelity. Didn't MFSL use the US mix? The mix on the remaster is a totally different mix. Does anybody know which one it is? They say that there is a different mix on the 20th box set as well. Does this mean that there are 3 mixes or have I been hoodwinked by the same two or three people on SHTV who always repeat the same incorrect information? Or do I have a secret remaster with the correct UK version?

I don't have the old American "Benefit" CD but I've been told it sucks horribly. I may have to get it and judge for myself...but can anybody confirm?

I have a another question: does anybody know how long the gap is between "A Time For Everything" and "Teacher" on the original US LP? I don't have an LP to reference.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:56 am

Please post track listings of the US and UK versions. I was not aware that the two territories used diff line-ups.

As I'd posted before, I did a needle drop of a UK "porky prime" cut of this album, and sold the mother off on ebay quickly after. Tull btw is a tough ebay sell in just about any issue besides "pink" Island and DCC/MFSL. They just don't wanna pay big bucks even fer nice stuff. This band over stayed their welcome I'm fraid.

I've become critical in my years I know. But I still like to listen. I like the Partridge Family's first three albums very much too!!!
Last edited by Jeff T. on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:10 am

The US version deleted "Alive And Well", moved "Inside" to middle of Side One where "Alive And Well" used to be, and put "Teacher" in the middle of side two where "Inside" used to be. So the middle track on each side is different.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:54 am

JWB wrote:The US version deleted "Alive And Well", moved "Inside" to middle of Side One where "Alive And Well" used to be, and put "Teacher" in the middle of side two where "Inside" used to be. So the middle track on each side is different.

US version has one less track than UK?

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:56 am

Jeff T. wrote:
JWB wrote:The US version deleted "Alive And Well", moved "Inside" to middle of Side One where "Alive And Well" used to be, and put "Teacher" in the middle of side two where "Inside" used to be. So the middle track on each side is different.

US version has one less track than UK?

No...it has "Teacher" instead of "Alive And Well"...and it has switched places with "Inside".

"Alive And Well" was used on the US "Living In The Past" (and therefore the MFSL as well).

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Re: Jethro Tull: Benefit on CD and Teacher

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:18 am

JWB wrote:I don't have the old American "Benefit" CD but I've been told it sucks horribly. I may have to get it and judge for myself...but can anybody confirm?

I didn't care for the sound of it and sold it after getting the remaster. The only thing that bothers me about the new remaster is that With You There To Help Me seems to have a second or two missing at the very beginning.
-Matt