Manassas

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Manassas

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:21 am

Anyone know how the original CD compares to the HDCD remaster? How about Down The Road?

For that matter, how about the first few Stills solo albums?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

stevef

Re: Manassas

Postby stevef » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:35 am

lukpac wrote:Anyone know how the original CD compares to the HDCD remaster? How about Down The Road?

For that matter, how about the first few Stills solo albums?

Luke...

I never owned the original CD of Manassas...in fact, I dont even remember it. The HDCD remaster of Manassas sounds wonderful IMO.
Down The Road I dont believe has been remastered.

The first two Stephen Stills solo albums are a definite improvement over the original CDs. But this is just my opinion. Your imileage may vary.
I always thought Stephen Stills was a bit overproduced anyway... and the recording always sounded better to me on the original vinyl. But at least this CD is HDCD.

Steve

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Manassas

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:52 am

stevef wrote:I never owned the original CD of Manassas...in fact, I dont even remember it. The HDCD remaster of Manassas sounds wonderful IMO.

I've got the HDCD of Manassas, as well as s/t for that matter. Both have a certain sound (maybe a bit lacking in lower midrange) that I'm not completely fond of, although I don't know if it's the mastering or the recording.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Leppo

Postby Leppo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:47 am

I have both the original CD and the HDCD and prefer the HDCD.

Send me a PM if you'd like to check out the original CD.
"I dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." - TJ