PAUL SIMON - THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON

Just what the name says.
Jeff T.

PAUL SIMON - THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:09 am

This album is such a stunning masterwork in the singer/songwriter genre. After all these crazy years I still go back to it and can't believe how good every song is and how well they are sequenced.

I mean even the cover is interesting. The first solo album after the split with Artie is very fine too. But I think this second one really hits the mark.

The opening track Kodachrome has that acoustic guitar intro that speaks to me. I'm a guitar fan, or guitar man whatever. So I appreciate that this tune starts there before it builds onto somehting else.

But anyway, the entire album never burned out on me. I generally go for the Quad SQ LP. Just because it is there on the shelf.

I really miss the days of the brilliant professional album. Before the word "professional" was a bad thing in rock. You got the slick production and the songwriter at his peak, and it all come together into something exciting and commercial. Even "commercial" used to not be a bad word.

But really, the artist who has unlimited budget to record, and the only concern was to get the right groove or vibe going. Analog tapes and first rate production. When I was a kid I thought it goes on forever and the great albums like this would keep on coming. There were three charting singles that never really got over played and burnt crispy.

But the one good thing is that these albums like this one last forever, and the enjoyment goes on and on.