Turtles Sundazed discs - OOP and commanding big bucks?

Just what the name says.
dudelsack

Turtles Sundazed discs - OOP and commanding big bucks?

Postby dudelsack » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 pm

lschwart

Postby lschwart » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:16 pm

That's got to be a joke! I have that disk. I like it fine (I have asentimental spot for that album), but could it possibly be worth that money to someone?

L.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:44 pm

It's the "There's Gonna Be a Storm" puzzle. Those discs were in print for at LEAST ten years, and nobody wanted them; they languished around, generally at a $9.99 price point (or less). Now they're OOP, and someone wants to charge $100+? Whatever; someone will pay for them.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:00 am

I've noticed a similar thing going on lately with a lot of Van Morrison CDs, which suddenly seem to be out of print (including many, if not all, of the Polydor remasters). A few days back, I realized there's still a few '80s and '90s (and even one or two '70s) Van albums I don't have, and went looking ... wow.

Just a few months ago these discs seemed to be everywhere.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:04 am

Only a theory, but if I had to guess...
Back catalog is going to go to download services exclusively in the very near future, I think - with a more Japanese-style limited release of media when they feel the sales merit.

Especially with Mediaplay gone, Tower going out of biz, FYE probably next, and Best Buy/Circus Shitty not really all that interested in deep catalog, the number of non-online retail outlets for catalog is far fewer than it used to be. So, if everything is bought online, what's the difference (from a record co. perspective) between Amazon.com and iTunes?

Answering my own question: it's a lot cheaper for record cos. to encode rather than manufacture, particularly since most of them have sold their manufacturing facilities...to say nothing of the cost of keeping things in print being different on CD than download services.

seth

Postby seth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Back catalog is going to go to download services exclusively in the very near future, I think

As a collector, I have to say that that would bite moose big time.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:39 pm

Meh. The old stuff will always be around as FLAC (for those of us who've recently emerged from collectorhood, at least).

I'm heartened to know that my multiple copies of the Turtles discs will get my (highly hypothetical) kids through college.
-------------

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:51 am

Remember that Doors "Boot Yer Butt" set? People are selling it on Amazon for $350. I saw one on ebay last week with a $475 Buy It Now. Is that not totally fucking insane?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:03 am

But are they actually selling it for $350 or $475? Or are they offering it at those prices and not attracting any buyers?

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:44 pm

I did buy Turtle Soup and found it to be not really too good. I know, I should be cool and say that Battle of the Bands AND Turtle Soup are stunning masterworks deserving of DVD-A or SACD treatment. But I just don't believe that. And I tend to speak my mind. That make some people really like me and others hate me I know.

Anyway, it does feel good to know that I will be able to flip Turtle Soup on ebay for $350.00 in another year or so. I may need the cash for a car payment or something. A trip to Mexico for 2 on a three day weekend. We're living in good times I gotta say, livin' the life, and livin' large!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:32 pm

I like them both, though I'd hardly defend them as masterworks. As much as I like "Battle," I concede that it's...well, pretty chock full of filler. Very ENJOYABLE filler, granted, but filler nonetheless. "Turtle Soup" is stronger on a song-by-song basis, but it's a damn-primitive sounding album, and a little too schizoid.

The Turtles were just never too great on settling down long enough to put out a really consistent long-player. The first too albums (horrible stereo mix aside) are so incredibly hit-or-miss (not to mention anachronistic, considering the band's later direction) that I generally don't listen to them; in fact, my preferred compilation of the Turtles' early period consists of chunks of each of those albums plus almost all of "Wooden Head." "Happy Together" has some great stuff ("Walking Song"), but strays perilously close to MOR banality at points. And so on.
-------------

seth

Postby seth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Saw them live last year at a free outdoor show in Hoboken and they were great! Unfortunately, they didn't do "I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)"! :mrgreen:

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:18 pm

I have always like these few hits they had. And the Rhino 20 Greatest Hits (first version) does have the master tape sound.

That hard stereo separation just works for me. Tickles yer brain if heard on headphones. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet those albums...I just can't get through any of them.

I have some of the videos they did in the 60s on DVD. They look like they were budgeted at about $26.00. A roll of film, and lunch at the Burger Barn.