Q&A with Pink Floyd's Nick Mason: More SACDs in the pipe

Just what the name says.
stevef

Q&A with Pink Floyd's Nick Mason: More SACDs in the pipe

Postby stevef » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:40 am

from USA Today--

Up close and personal with Pink Floyd's Nick Mason

Updated 9/25/2006 11:18 PM ET

Nick Mason of Pink Floyd arrives for the screening of the group's new DVD, Pulse, in
London on Monday July 3, 2006.

After Pink Floyd's reunion at the Live 8 Concert in July 2005, drummer Nick Mason added a new section to his book Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd, first released in 2004 by Chronicle Books ($29.95).

Recently, he chatted with USA TODAY's Mike Snider about the book, the band's recently-released music DVD Pulse and all things Pink Floyd.

Q: What was the feeling of the band during the tour captured on Pulse?

A: I suppose we are talking really about the end of a tour in 1993 and, for me, it's really a happy time. I really enjoyed the tours that David (Gilmour) and I did together in 1987-88 and the '93 tour. It was very different from any touring we did with (fellow founding member) Roger (Waters).

It was the first time we were on a really long tour. We were really new to the idea of developing the show over a long period of time and getting it right. I haven't talked to him (Roger) about it, but I will. But apart from all the rehearsal we did to get The Wall as we wanted it, we didn't really stay on tour long enough for that to happen.

Our early tours in the '70s were a bit too short, so when the time came that we would have been able to rejigger the song list and tinker with specific performances, it would be over. I think it was a mistake because even then there were good ways to bring the family along on tour.

Q: Do you have any favorites among the extras on the Pulse DVD?

A: I think one of the things I rather like is it's possible to view the individual films normally screened with various songs. I'm sure it was quite distracting to try to watch a film with a band (performing) beneath it. One that I feel good about is the animation done for Time. It is absolutely fantastic. It's a fantasy journey through a weird and wonderful sort of clock.

Q: In your book, you say that you were surprised that you and David Gilmour had the strength to continue as a band. Did it take similar willpower to play The Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety live (as captured on the DVD)?

A: I don't think that was really an issue. The only reason we hadn't played it before — either with Roger or without — was we had all got caught up in the business of playing our greatest hits at shows. The tendency was to promote a new album in the first half of the show. Then, if you take up the second half with a lot of Dark Side, you've filled the evening, really, and can't play anything else.

In places where we played two or more nights in a row, it would have been really nice to advertise it like that Wednesday and Thursday we are doing Animals and Wish You Were Here and on Friday and Saturday we are doing Dark Side of the Moon as a piece and people could pick their favorite and attend that show.

Q: The newest edition of your book addresses the band's reunion for the Live 8 benefit concert. How would you describe that show?

A: I will always be incredibly grateful to (Live 8 coordinator) Bob Geldof for giving us that opportunity. I am still sort of really pleased that we did it. I think it is one of the better things we've ever done. It was much more than (a reunion), it was making a statement.

It did three different things at once. On a global level, it did a lot of good for Live 8 and got a message across ... that more can be done than simply sending food parcels to starving countries. There are political issues here that many of us never thought about.

There was a band onstage that actually did something grown-up to transcend their differences and play music not for the cash but because we thought it was a worthwhile cause.

Q: You recently performed with Roger Waters on his tour, right? Describe his show and what songs do you play on? He pays tribute to Syd Barrett (who died July 7, 2006) early in the set, right?

A: The first half of Roger's show is a mix of Floyd tracks and some of his solo work. I think it is a great mix. The interesting thing is whether it is David or Roger, there are still the songs that we know and he knows are favorites such as Wish You Were Here and Shine On and you will see it on David's solo tour (which ended in August) and Roger's solo tour. (On the Waters tour) I'm involved on the Dark Side of the Moon, which is played completely (during the second set).

With Syd's death, David and Roger at times have made particular statements about Syd. David played some of Syd's work on his tour. I had a guest appearance with David at (Royal) Albert Hall (May 29-31, 2006). I think it is going to come out on DVD.

Q: When you joined Roger Waters for the Madison Square Garden shows (Sept. 12 and 13) did he know that Pulsewas doing well on the charts?

A: Yes. He's sort of irritated by it, but he does benefit from it. So he's half-having to complain and half being enthusiastic. I tend to steer the conversation to another topic. ... We are very, very good at sweeping problems under the carpet.

Q: Is he recording any of his shows for DVD?

A: He's certainly intending to. I think he filmed in France originally, but the Hollywood Bowl (Oct. 5-8, where Mason is rejoining him) would be a great place.

Q: I know you've been asked thousands of times, but what do you think it is about The Dark Side of the Moon that allows it to stand the test of time so well?

A: The piece itself is primarily about good songwriting. The lyrics are still very relevant. It's like a lot of Dylan songs, they just still are relevant.

Time is almost written in hindsight by someone 50-years-old or older.

Q: Are there any other Pink Floyd rarities we might eventually see?

A: There are various things in the pipeline we ought to do. More SACDs (high-resolution, surround sound music discs) ought to be done and a remixing of Animals in particular. I feel in particular it might benefit from a real remix, not to make it sound exactly like the original but maybe just have another look at it as to what the mix might be.

Posted 9/25/2006 10:18 PM ET

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Q&A with Pink Floyd's Nick Mason: More SACDs in the

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:09 am

stevef wrote:Q: Are there any other Pink Floyd rarities we might eventually see?[/b]

A: There are various things in the pipeline we ought to do. More SACDs (high-resolution, surround sound music discs) ought to be done and a remixing of Animals in particular. I feel in particular it might benefit from a real remix, not to make it sound exactly like the original but maybe just have another look at it as to what the mix might be.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Sounds like *he* thinks it's a good idea, but considering the state of SACD today...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:17 am

I'd expect to see Waters playing "One Slip" at his solo shows before seeing more SACDs.

If Sony still had the rights to those albums, there might have been a *small* possibility of some sort of cross-promotion with the Playstation 3 (which I believe will be able to play SACDs, possibly renamed to "SACD HD"), but SACD is so dead even that seems far-fetched at this point.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:17 am

Conceivably it could be a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc, if such are ever released as 'audio only' or 'audio with video bonus'. And assuming the public doesn't stay away from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray in droves, as tehy did for SACD/DVD-A.

Also, the Bjork albums were just rereleased as DualDiscs with Dolby Digital surround tracks, and they sound fine.
Last edited by krabapple on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

taylorrichards

Postby taylorrichards » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm

Given the fact that Pink Floyd has been as heavily bootlegged as they have over the years, I'm disappointed that the interviewer didn't ask if official bootlegs haven't been considered. I'd have to think Pink Floyd would be a prime candidate for worthiness, don't you think?
Margaret: You know what a pervert Klinger is!
Trapper: Hey! Wait a minute! Klinger's not a pervert.
Margaret: Oh yeah? How would you know?
Trapper: Because I'm one and he's never at the meetings.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:56 pm

Aldo, the Bjork albums were just rereleased as DualDiscs with Dolby Digital surround tracks, and they sound fine.

This seems most likely. But who's Aldo? Aldo Nova?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:04 am

If there is any decency left in the world they will release the rest of the '67 studio stuff and the 2 '67 BBC sessions. BBC producer Bernie Andrews kept the 2 Floyd '67 Top Gear sessions and they sound amazing..

BTW, anyone want to speculate on how many pre The Wall Floyd live shows were multitracked? There is the rest of the Ummagumma stuff but that's all I can think of.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:08 am

Rspaight wrote:
Aldo, the Bjork albums were just rereleased as DualDiscs with Dolby Digital surround tracks, and they sound fine.

This seems most likely. But who's Aldo? Aldo Nova?

Ryan

Where's Aldo?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant