BANNED from the Hoffman forums

Just what the name says.
JWB

BANNED from the Hoffman forums

Postby JWB » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:17 am

Today I was censored and watched by a couple gorts as I attempted to make a post in the George Harrison "Material World" thread. My entire post was deleted because I said "Ghastly Astley". Then I complained that my post was deleted "unfairly". Meanwhile, there was an anti-Yoko Ono thread going on with people calling her all kinds of names and I asked them in a private message why they weren't concerned about that instead. Then I re-posted in the Harrison thread and I figured that was that.

Then a few hours later I got this message:

-----------------------------------------------

You have been banned for the following reason:

Inflamitory remarks on the forum and at Gorts

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

-----------------------------------------------

I said nothing inflammatory (notice that I can SPELL that word!) except "Ghastley Astley", if that even qualifies. I used no expletives or said anything foul. I just wanted them to know my opinion. I figured that would be the end of it. Instead I'm thrown out, FOREVER, after 5 years of dedication. Nice, huh? God forbid!

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:27 am

If you want, I can send a pm to Steve with your explanation about what happened. Steve is usually way cooler than (some of) his gorts when it comes to censoring or banning.

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:38 am

That would be cool. He unbanned me before when Dave banned me (for similar reasons), but I don't know if he's sick of me or not, or what the gorts are telling him. I would like to know what I said that was "inflammatory". I certainly wasn't feeling confrontational or angry or anything, I was just spilling my guts.

Leppo

Postby Leppo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:28 am

I think they should lift your lifetime ban for misspelling "inflammatory."
"I dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." - TJ

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:29 am

They misspelled "privilege" when they disciplined me for "spamming" a single person.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Re: BANNED from the Hoffman forums

Postby krabapple » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:33 pm

JWB wrote:Today I was censored and watched by a couple gorts as I attempted to make a post in the George Harrison "Material World" thread. My entire post was deleted because I said "Ghastly Astley". Then I complained that my post was deleted "unfairly". Meanwhile, there was an anti-Yoko Ono thread going on with people calling her all kinds of names and I asked them in a private message why they weren't concerned about that instead. Then I re-posted in the Harrison thread and I figured that was that.

Did you complain in public, or by PM? Because if a Gort deletes your post, and you complain about it on that thread (or anywhere else on SHtv), you will be banned. You aren't allowed to question or second-guess Gortly actions in public. That's the rules. The Gorts know best.
:roll:
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

RDK

Postby RDK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Christ, that's heavy-handed moderating. :roll:

I barely post there anymore, and when i do it's mostly in the Visual Arts section. I like some of the mods, but others can apparently be real jerks. I say "apparently" because I've never actually had any run-ins with them, though I was once accused of essentially being an "enemy" of the forum simply because I had over 100 posts here at Lukpac. And as far as i can tell, their "concern" had nothing to do with the content of my posts here, just the sheer number of them - I can't ever remember saying anything truly negative (I'm kind of a pussy that way). In fact, since I'm on record as having met Steve several times, and like him both personally and professionally, I'm more prone to stick up for him than criticize. Still, the atmosphere's changed over the years and I hardly feel welcome there anymore.

As for JWB's banning, I'm sure Steve would help lift it if he's made aware of it. Despite what some others think, Steve really doesn't deal much with the day-to-day stuff there, and I've found him to be much more open-minded and agreeable than some of his Gorts, who tend to "protect" him too aggressively.
ray

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:46 pm

RDK wrote:I like some of the mods, but others can apparently be real jerks. I say "apparently" because I've never actually had any run-ins with them, though I was once accused of essentially being an "enemy" of the forum simply because I had over 100 posts here at Lukpac. And as far as i can tell, their "concern" had nothing to do with the content of my posts here, just the sheer number of them

Who accused you of being an "enemy" at shtv? And who over there counted your posts here at Lukpac?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:06 pm

JWB: your problem was thinking you were special.

You should've seen the nastygram that accompanied me leaving.

I no longer participate in public there. I do my PMs, do what I can, and otherlive live in peace with the craziness.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Leppo

Postby Leppo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:32 pm

Xenu wrote:You should've seen the nastygram that accompanied me leaving.

Can you elaborate?
"I dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." - TJ

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:43 pm

Xenu wrote:JWB: your problem was thinking you were special.

I no longer participate in public there. I do my PMs, do what I can, and otherlive live in peace with the craziness.

So you still have a valid screen name, but prefer to PM only and stay out of the "new to rock, where do I go after Kiss Alive" threads.

The nastygram was just that, not a banishment from the joint?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:13 pm

Leppo wrote:Can you elaborate?

Elaborated by PM.

So you still have a valid screen name, but prefer to PM only and stay out of the "new to rock, where do I go after Kiss Alive" threads.

If, say, in the middle of a thread of misinformation and misdirection (someone posts about CD versions of the Beau Brummels catalog, several people jump in about the merits of the first pressing Autumn, circumlocution begins about the merits of the Brummels versus the Byrds, and the orginal poster's question is never answered) I feel the need to set things right, I do it by PM. I also respond to "shit, I can't afford to spend $100 on that DCC gold, whatever will I do?" with helpful reminders about the existence of CDRs. Remember, kids, NOBODY benefits from you spending $300 for "Ringo" except for the seller. You don't need the real thing. That's the beauty of CDRs.

Incidentally, several posts to that effect got removed really quickly. Oh well.

The aforementioned (and I'm not planning on posting it) nastygram wasn't an official banning, but was enough of a "we all hate you and want you gone" to keep me from going back. Congratulations! I didn't think I was that much of a pest, but what's done is done... I was really surprised by the hostility involved.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:55 pm

Xenu wrote:JWB: your problem was thinking you were special.

I wish I could have seen mine...but my access to my PMs was blocked before I could read it. :lol:
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

czeskleba

Re: BANNED from the Hoffman forums

Postby czeskleba » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:51 am

JWB wrote:Meanwhile, there was an anti-Yoko Ono thread going on with people calling her all kinds of names and I asked them in a private message why they weren't concerned about that instead.

I assume the Yoko thread was totally nuked? I can't find it.

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:46 am

I have been told that Steve and certain other gorts are trying to contact me but they can't because my PM's are turned off. I do not understand this because I did not turn them off. They were turned off by whoever banned me and I am forbidden from turning them back on. They are saying that I have not been perm banned, but when I try to post or change my settings I see that moronic message. WTF is going on?