Warner opens video library to YouTube

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Warner opens video library to YouTube

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:17 am

Wow, this is huge. It will be interesting to see what does and doesn't make it to YouTube.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14885094/

Warner Music has agreed to make its library of music videos available to YouTube, marking the first time that an established record company has agreed to make its content library available to the user-generated media company.

Under the agreement, YouTube users will have full access to videos from Warner artists. They will also be permitted incorporate material from those videos into their own clips, which are then uploaded to YouTube. Warner and YouTube will share advertising revenue sold in connection with the video content.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:28 am

I hope other labels (and the networks) follow suit, and that this becomes a reliable revenue model for YouTube.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:36 pm

Wow. I never would have thought that would happen. I had resigned myself to the idea that You Tube wouldn't be around much longer.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 am

It's really Warner's getting free advertising for their music video library (think CD/DVD sales), plus getting a cut of the revenue (if ever there is any) from youtube.

Since those old music videos are gathering dust for the most part, this is finally a smart move from a major.

Since music companies are in the shits so bad, they are more inclined to work with new media. Sad that the artists will see so little of that new revenue.