That thar glitch on "Maggie May"

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

That thar glitch on "Maggie May"

Postby Xenu » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:31 pm

I just got home, and this was the first thing I tackled...it's been bothering me for a while.

Anyway, I vaguely recall there being a glitch during the guitar intro of "Maggie May" that is on all CD versions of "Every Picture" I've heard--EXCEPT for this random early Polygram held by my library. Judge for yourselves.

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/mag.flac

First is the right-channel of the aforementioned Polygram then, followed by the right channel of the Mercury remaster (I can't find my copy of the MoFi, but I remember it being similar to the Mercury in this case).

The glitch is most noticable on the third guitar beat.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Re: That thar glitch on "Maggie May"

Postby Patrick M » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:23 pm

Xenu wrote:I just got home, and this was the first thing I tackled...it's been bothering me for a while.

Anyway, I vaguely recall there being a glitch during the guitar intro of "Maggie May" that is on all CD versions of "Every Picture" I've heard--EXCEPT for this random early Polygram held by my library. Judge for yourselves.

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/mag.flac

First is the right-channel of the aforementioned Polygram then, followed by the right channel of the Mercury remaster (I can't find my copy of the MoFi, but I remember it being similar to the Mercury in this case).

The glitch is most noticable on the third guitar beat.

But Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds Oohh, I've wasted my life...
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:41 am

Scratching an itch in the small of your back may be a damn waste of time, but when you finally succeed it still feels good.

TRA!
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:00 pm

So c'mon. Nobody? Didn't this album get three fucking pages somewhere?
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Haven't listened yet.

Is that early CD the one with the added echo?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:12 am

I don't hear any added echo, so I don't think so.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:35 am

I've never heard it, but I think you can hear it the most in (I Know) I'm Losing You. If it's there, of course.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:28 am

I'll check and report back.
-------------

onanboy

Postby onanboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Are we talking about the very slight stutter at about 0.8 seconds of the mag.flac file?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:57 pm

If you mean "8 seconds," then yes. It actually is a little more than slight, but there's one part where it seems like it's particularly bad. I dunno. Given the hubbub at sh.tv about which version uses the master yadda yadda, I found it odd that only that weird Polygram lacked that particular stutter.

Yes, it isn't important, I know.
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:01 pm

I don't hear any extra echo. I will note, though, that the Mercury remaster is a LOT hissier on "Losing You."

(It also isn't really compressed at all. Exactly what's supposed to be wrong with it?)
-------------

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:54 pm

Xenu wrote:If you mean "8 seconds," then yes. It actually is a little more than slight, but there's one part where it seems like it's particularly bad. I dunno. Given the hubbub at sh.tv about which version uses the master yadda yadda, I found it odd that only that weird Polygram lacked that particular stutter.

Yes, it isn't important, I know.

Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 am

I don't eat cheeseburgers. As you well know.
-------------