Monterey Pop - Pictures of Lily footage

Just what the name says.
Chris M

Monterey Pop - Pictures of Lily footage

Postby Chris M » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHfEeKvK ... 0Townshend

Anyone know why this wasn't on the Criterion DVD?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:21 pm

Huh. Maybe it isn't complete? Of course, that didn't stop footage from other acts getting in. Odd. The Criterion box would have you believe if it was filmed, it was included.

Talk about a terrible audio mix...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:46 pm

lukpac wrote:Huh. Maybe it isn't complete? Of course, that didn't stop footage from other acts getting in. Odd. The Criterion box would have you believe if it was filmed, it was included.

Talk about a terrible audio mix...

Yeah, the audio and video for the clip is pretty rough but it was neat to see it as I had no idea this was in circulation or even existed. The Criterion box was pretty dissapointing. Way too much shit missing.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:40 pm

"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:05 am

Chris M wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yQJgZrmBo&search=monterey%20dead

Grateful Dead at Monterey..

I don't have the booklet in front of me, but hasn't the party line been that the Dead weren't even filmed? I thought I remembered reading something like "no footage of the Dead's performance exists" or somesuch.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:27 am

lukpac wrote:
Chris M wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yQJgZrmBo&search=monterey%20dead

Grateful Dead at Monterey..

I don't have the booklet in front of me, but hasn't the party line been that the Dead weren't even filmed? I thought I remembered reading something like "no footage of the Dead's performance exists" or somesuch.

I remember reading an interview with Pennebaker and he said something like he had planned on filming one Dead song but the song they decided to film (Viola Lee Blues) went on for 15 minutes and he only captured the first 10 minutes of it. This kind of jives with the clip on Youtube. I have no idea why this wasn't used by Criterion. It's not a complete song but I would think that the footage is historically significant enough to include. I'm sure the GD people would of allowed it to be used.