The music industry is against me

Just what the name says.
Andreas

The music industry is against me

Postby Andreas » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:28 pm

They had to pull my "Elvis Comparison" thread over at the other forum because a record company requested that. Will they sue me?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:28 pm

Yes.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Re: The music industry is against me

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Andreas wrote:They had to pull my "Elvis Comparison" thread over at the other forum because a record company requested that. Will they sue me?

Elaborate, please?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

MK

Postby MK » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:43 pm

WTF? Gutless turds, tell the exec to go fuck himself. Seriously, why the fuck would a record exec actually care about a comparison thread in a fucking audiophile forum?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:10 pm

BMG is apparently thin-skinned. I remember the exact same thing happening four years ago, when there was a thread discussing the Elvis "30 #1 Hits" compilation. People were critical of the sound of the remix of "Suspicious Minds." It's one of those deals where the horns were overdubbed directly onto the final mix rather than an individual track of the multi tracks, so there is no way to do a proper remix. So they attempted to digitally isolate the sound of the horns (similar to what they did with Mike's voice on the stereo "Wouldn't it Be Nice"). I remember reading complaints that the end result sounded too phasey, and then the next day the whole thread was gone. I asked a moderator, who said it was deleted at the request of BMG. They said they had to play ball with BMG in order to get their cooperation with licensing material for some project Steve was working on at the time.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Imagine if Apple Corps monitored sh.tv. :twisted:
Craig

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:01 am

Xenu wrote:
Andreas wrote:They had to pull my "Elvis Comparison" thread over at the other forum because a record company requested that. Will they sue me?

Elaborate, please?

I am not allowed to.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:33 am

Andreas wrote:
Xenu wrote:

Elaborate, please?

I am not allowed to.

*chuckle* I do love the self-important veil of secrecy that surrounds back-room dealings of the industry. It's a clusterfuck of self-importance.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:16 am

That's why I wish that places like sh.tv didn't attempt to get "suits" to join. I enjoy the presence of some, like EROC and Mr. Sandoval (though I wish he were a little less cryptic at times...source tapes used to make Odessey and Oracle are not mysteries to be parceled out like "Lost"), but for the others...it just keeps people from being honest.

I also think it's a shame that the place has turned into a PR-oriented exercise. I understood it when Mr. Hoffman didn't want to "rock the boat" too hard, but not rocking it at ALL is a damn shame. If the instant bootlegs are mentioned several "unofficial" Gorts start complaining...

Wanna do the thread here? I'm game.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:38 pm

Did you level match those at all, Andreas? Some seem quite a bit louder.

Quickly:

Hound Dog 1 - sounds pretty good
Hound Dog 2 - less high end than 1. Inferior source, or just different EQ?
Hound Dog 3 - huh? Terrible. No high end, and the mids really stick out.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:43 pm

lukpac wrote:Did you level match those at all, Andreas?

Yes, apparently without any success.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:48 pm

lukpac wrote:Hound Dog 3 - huh? Terrible. No high end, and the mids really stick out.

That one song really sticks out as an exception...by far the biggest difference. It seems like it was sourced from an equalized tape copy on which only some midrange was left. Some commented on sh.tv that it sounded just like the 45. It reminds me of the sound of Substitute on MBBB.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:08 pm

Andreas wrote:

What method did you use?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:10 pm

krabapple wrote:
Andreas wrote:

What method did you use?
Ears. :oops: