Judas Priest remasters/Metalogy/Rocka Rolla

Just what the name says.
Patrick M

Judas Priest remasters/Metalogy/Rocka Rolla

Postby Patrick M » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:04 pm

I've avoided all the JP remasters because of Astley's involvement. Then I looked at the liners to Metalogy at a store today, and noticed that Anesini was also involved.

So do the remasters suck?

And are the (album) tracks on Metalogy exactly the same as on the remasters?

Is any particular copy of Rocka Rolla different/better than any other?

Finally, is it just me, or does Scott Travis suck?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:19 pm

Ja, the remasters suck. The original discs sound a bit weedy but I'm sure it'll be the best we get.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Thanks. Any idea what Anesini's involvment was?

Opinions on Scott Travis? I was watching the live Budokan DVD with him, and he seems like a human metronome.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

britre

Postby britre » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:54 pm

Actually the original sound of the Priest albums was shotty to say the least. Ya can't remaster crap into good no matter how good your equipment is.

The above was written by a fan of Judas Priest (Halford years only)

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:03 am

britre wrote:Actually the original sound of the Priest albums was shotty to say the least. Ya can't remaster crap into good no matter how good your equipment is.

Not necessarily true of Sad Wings Of Destiny (or, at least, it's not shotty in the same way). However, I've yet to find a CD that can match the mastering on the UK Gull LP (haven't found an RCA original CD yet, though).

As for Rocka Rolla, the RCA CD I have sounds fine, but I can live w/o the album. Not Rodger Bain's finest hour.

britre

Postby britre » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:19 pm

dudelsack wrote:
britre wrote:Actually the original sound of the Priest albums was shotty to say the least. Ya can't remaster crap into good no matter how good your equipment is.

Not necessarily true of Sad Wings Of Destiny (or, at least, it's not shotty in the same way). However, I've yet to find a CD that can match the mastering on the UK Gull LP (haven't found an RCA original CD yet, though).

As for Rocka Rolla, the RCA CD I have sounds fine, but I can live w/o the album. Not Rodger Bain's finest hour.

After a read of this I took a relisten to Sad Wings. The problem is the bass is way too pronounced in the mix. The detail is good but for some reason the remaster chooses to work your sub woofer rather than take a attempt at revealing Halfords amazing vocal range and breathing techniques. I still think IMO that you simply can't take a bad mix (especially all heavy metal recordings) and remaster something good with the exception of Ozzy Osbournes Diary Of A Madman which actually is quite a good remastering job sounding way better than anything previously released. While you can never get away from the heavy compresion used in all 80's metal recordings, the Ozzy album does a good job of doing so.

Worst 80's metal remaster of all time in my opinion is Ronnie James Dio, Holy Diver. Horrible, Horrible, Horrible. Nothing can fix the bad mastering and engineering done on this album. It is too bad as it really was a rockin album in it's time.