Hendrix boot advice needed

Just what the name says.
Patrick M

Hendrix boot advice needed

Postby Patrick M » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks to our fearless leader, I got a tip that a local store got a boatload of Hendrix boots, used, and cheap ($8 singles, $14 for doubles).

I bought the pirate "4 in 2" with Midnight Lightning, Crash Landing, War Heroes, and Loose Ends.

I'm looking for opinions on the other stuff they had:

Looking Back, 2 CD, Teddy Bear label

Woodstock Rehearsals, Old Crow

Ball and Chain, Honeybed

Electic Ladyland Outtakes

Rainbow Bridge, RB01 (if this is what I think it is, I already have a dupe)

some Weton Wesgram CD + CD ROM thing, catalog #WWCDR006

Lightnin' Rod Miles (Doriella Du Fontaine)

Redskin Jammin', 2 CD, JH 01/02

Diamonds in the Dust, 2 CD, MB CD 022/023

Blues at Midnight, MB CD 037

De Lane Lea Demos & Olympic outtakes

The Kings' Jam, Shadow Man
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

the 801

Postby the 801 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:21 am

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:26 am

My eyes just started to glaze over...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:10 am

I dunno, considering how many Hendrix 'boots' have been officially released, how good can it be? I've got the box set, the South Saturn Delta comp or whatever it's called, the BBC set, a bunch of live discs (Woodstock, Fillmore/Band of Gypsys, Monterey, the multi-concert set - I think it was called Stages, etc.) and as much as I like those sets, they have their share of mediocre material. I'm not crazy about Hendrix's latter day shows, and except for the earliest shows (which were barely over a half hour), a lot of shows had their share of wankery, and I think Hendrix and the others admitted to this. Something about doing what was expected from their hippie audience? I forgot what they said exactly.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 am

The things really intrigue me are the stuff w/John McLaughlin, B.B. King and Roy Buchanan. Maybe it's all crap, but I'd like to hear it at least once.

If anyone has the complete Winterland shows and/or Box of Gypsys, please PM me.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Jelly

Postby Jelly » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 am

Just join JimiPassIton http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/JimiPassItOn/ I mean, why pay for a boot. The material that circulates in fan circles is in much better quality too.

ATM-series is just great http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrix ... nderground

So called McLaughlin sessions are really just one, about 30 minute jam. It's kinda boring...

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks Jelly.

The 4 in 2 was pretty well done.

I can't get enough outtakes of Three Little Bears, BTW.

Chris M

Re: Hendrix boot advice needed

Postby Chris M » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Patrick M wrote:Thanks to our fearless leader, I got a tip that a local store got a boatload of Hendrix boots, used, and cheap ($8 singles, $14 for doubles).

I bought the pirate "4 in 2" with Midnight Lightning, Crash Landing, War Heroes, and Loose Ends.

I'm looking for opinions on the other stuff they had:

Looking Back, 2 CD, Teddy Bear label

Woodstock Rehearsals, Old Crow

Ball and Chain, Honeybed

Electic Ladyland Outtakes

Rainbow Bridge, RB01 (if this is what I think it is, I already have a dupe)

some Weton Wesgram CD + CD ROM thing, catalog #WWCDR006

Lightnin' Rod Miles (Doriella Du Fontaine)

Redskin Jammin', 2 CD, JH 01/02

Diamonds in the Dust, 2 CD, MB CD 022/023

Blues at Midnight, MB CD 037

De Lane Lea Demos & Olympic outtakes

The Kings' Jam, Shadow Man

Most of those titles have some gems but also lots of crap. As suggested earlier I would stick with stuff in trading circles.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:10 pm

Patrick M wrote:The things really intrigue me are the stuff w/John McLaughlin, B.B. King and Roy Buchanan. Maybe it's all crap, but I'd like to hear it at least once.

If anyone has the complete Winterland shows and/or Box of Gypsys, please PM me.

The Roy Buchanan jam is actually not Roy Buchanan but some guy named Dave Woods. The complete Winterland is shit hot. After hearing all 6 shows Ryko's track selections make no sense whatsoever. I can hook you up with that. Give me a few days to catch up.

stevef

Postby stevef » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:35 pm

Chris M wrote:The complete Winterland is shit hot. After hearing all 6 shows Ryko's track selections make no sense whatsoever.

Does anyone know... is Ryko's Hendrix Windterland CD is still around?
I thought it was OOP, but I recently came across a copy in the store.

Also, does Ryko's CD even max out the CD time-wise?

Did anymore of the Winterland material show up anywhere else officially?

Thanks for any info you may provide...
Steve

the 801

Postby the 801 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:35 pm

stevef wrote:Does anyone know... is Ryko's Hendrix Winterland CD is still around? I thought it was OOP, but I recently came across a copy in the store.

It is OOP -- Ryko no longer lists it as a catalogue item. Stray copies do crop up from time to time, but they seem to be few & far between.

stevef wrote:Also, does Ryko's CD even max out the CD time-wise?

Total time on the disc is nearly 72 minutes (Ryko goes the extra measure to tell you in the liners that the songs account for 64 minutes, while introductions take up 7.5 minutes.)

stevef

Postby stevef » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:13 pm

the 801 wrote:Total time on the disc is nearly 72 minutes (Ryko goes the extra measure to tell you in the liners that the songs account for 64 minutes, while introductions take up 7.5 minutes.)

Thanks, the 801...

I guess I should read those liners every now and then.
7.5 minutes for introductions???

Steve

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:00 pm

72 minutes was pretty long when that disc was originally released -- IIRC, back then 74 minutes and change was thought to be the max (which Ryko themselves eventually broke with their 80-minute Mission Of Burma comp).

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:53 pm

stevef wrote:
Chris M wrote:The complete Winterland is shit hot. After hearing all 6 shows Ryko's track selections make no sense whatsoever.

I used to come across this quite frequently used when I lived in Cleveland. Same with the Hendrix Reprise discs.
Craig

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 pm

stevef wrote:

Also, does Ryko's CD even max out the CD time-wise?

Did anymore of the Winterland material show up anywhere else officially?

Thanks for any info you may provide...
Steve

3 Winterland tracks are on the 1982 Jimi Hendrix Concerts LP (Little Wing, Hear My Train and Are You Experienced). There was a odd Ryko package that consisted of the standard Winterland CD, a T-Shirt and a CD EP called Winterland + 3 that had 3 unique tracks. There was a incredibly rare CD sold with a guitar magazine or something called "Variations On a Theme" that had a uniqe version of Red House from the 10/10 Winterland show. Finally 2 Winterland tracks (Fire and Hey Joe) are on the EH Voodoo Child comp. I'm not sure if they are unrelased or if they were on the Ryko CD.