CBS Stones CDs

Just what the name says.
JMatt

CBS Stones CDs

Postby JMatt » Sat May 13, 2006 11:36 am

Has anyone ever compared the post-London Stones CDs issued by CBS to the Virgin remasters? We certainly don't need a comparison of Emotional Rescue or Dirty Work, but Sticky Fingers and Exile are arguably their two best albums.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:42 pm

I recall glancing over at similar thread over at sh.tv and the general consensus was that the Virgins were far better than the CBS discs with the exception of one title though its name escapes me right now.
Craig

jbohdan

Postby jbohdan » Sat May 13, 2006 5:44 pm

Years ago, I traded in Sticky Fingers on CBS for the remaster. The CBS had lots of detail in the highs but little bass as far as I can remember. The Virgin sounded (and sounds) way better.
I've heard about some prefer the CBS Exile but the remaster is heard to beat. I traded in that one too (the CBS) and wasn't disappointed by the Virgin.
John

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat May 13, 2006 10:12 pm

The Virgins are pretty excellent, although "Some Girls" is just as crappy as ever. I don't own any non-comp CBS discs, though, so I can't do any sort of meaningful comparison.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Yeah, the only CBS discs I have are Made In The Shade, Sucking in the 70s, and Rewind.

And Steel Wheels, I guess.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat May 13, 2006 10:56 pm

I dumped all mine too, except for Rewind. I remember liking the Virgins a lot more, but that was twelve years ago so who knows.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sun May 14, 2006 12:22 am

Not exactly helpful, but I prefer the tracks "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" on Hot Rocks 2 over the Sticky Fingers remaster. Especially "Brown Sugar" is mastered very loud and harsh on the remaster.

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun May 14, 2006 2:52 am

Andreas wrote:Not exactly helpful, but I prefer the tracks "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" on Hot Rocks 2 over the Sticky Fingers remaster. Especially "Brown Sugar" is mastered very loud and harsh on the remaster.

I agree 100%.

John Buchanan

Postby John Buchanan » Sun May 14, 2006 5:54 pm

There's a big volume drop out - it's too long for a tape fault - in "Sweet Virginia" on the CBS Exile - unforgivable!
John Buchanan

tkl7

Postby tkl7 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:01 am

Hi, this is my first posting on this board, although I have been lurking here for a while.

I can really only compare the old CBS and new Virgin remaster of Some Girls, because I just upgraded that one a month or two ago. The CBS was really crappy, with muddy bass and distorted high end. The remaster is much better imho, and really creates a better sense of separation between the instruments, which allows a better appreciation of the guitar weaving between keith and ronnie.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:42 pm

Thanks for the info, and welcome aboard!

(...I still think that the sound quality of "Some Girls" sucks in general, though)
-------------

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:58 am

The remasters are much better transfers/tapes than the CBS discs, although still not perfect mastering-wise. They're a little too aggressive for my tastes.

As for "Some Girls", I just heard the unedited "Miss You" and the edits on the LP are totally obvious now....bad edits too. You hear a stereo "swish" sound and a "hiccup" at every one.

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:10 am

I'm going from memory right now - aren't there a few edits on "When The Whip Comes Down" aswell? I seem to recall a few stereo hiccups on that one on the remaster.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:37 am

JWB wrote:
As for "Some Girls", I just heard the unedited "Miss You" and the edits on the LP are totally obvious now....bad edits too. You hear a stereo "swish" sound and a "hiccup" at every one.

Haha...funny you mention that. Yeah, they're fucking obvious after you hear the extended mix (which also manages to sound a lot better...less processed).

BTW, how does the slightly-shorter one on Rarities differ from the old extended one?
-------------