Elvis 1950s mystery

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Elvis 1950s mystery

Postby Xenu » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:39 pm

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/r50s.htm

Anybody ever seen that page before?

Sounds like fun. Record company politics! Oldies record company politics!
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

MK

Postby MK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:03 am

Yes, that article actually pre-dates Kevan Budd and Vic Anesini's involvement with the Elvis catalog. For a long time, Elvis's CD catalog sucked. The first releases were shit, and it's funny how some of the shitty fake stereo ones are collector's items - probably for rarity.

The 90's reissues were big upgrades, but they still sucked - bad, harsh EQ, harsh denoising, some bad sources, etc. as mentioned in the article. It ALMOST explains why people would pay $100 for a 24 Karat Hits CD from DCC (insanity plays some role too).
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:07 am

So things've gotten better?
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:34 am

I have minimal knowledge about the various Elvis CD releases, but from what I have read, things have indeed gotten better. Kevan Budd seems to have adopted Steve's mastering philosophy, Vic Anesini's reputation is well-known, and Dennis Drake mastered the various "Elvis Presley Collection" Time Life 2 CD sets. Especially Kevan Budd's album remasters ("Elvis Presley", "Elvis" and "Loving You") get recommended a lot.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:17 am

I've seen that before. Isn't Jorgensen on the record somewhere totally bashing the DCC?

Who did the Elvis mastering? Was that Bill Lacey? The earlier BMG Sam Cooke sets (like the box) have that same sound - high end a bit rolled off, tons of midrange, along with some NR to make things even worse. Although narrowed, the ABKCO remixes are a *lot* better.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:57 am

Amen.

I think most of Elvis's A+ material has been mastered well. Still waiting for the entire Memphis sessions and the TV special to get better mastering...to be fair, the latter will never sound hi-fi.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:40 am

So has anyone compared Kevan Budd's or Vic Anesini's remasters against 24 Karat Gold Hits? Or against the Drake collections? Is there any interest?

MK

Postby MK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:59 am

Anesini's definitely sharper and harder. I'm not saying they're overly sharp or hard, but Hoffman's mastering is definitely a touch rounder and warmer. Part of it may be the playback console but Anesini usually adds a touch around 8k or above. Not like Inglot, but he does.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:11 pm

MK wrote:Anesini's definitely sharper and harder. I'm not saying they're overly sharp or hard, but Hoffman's mastering is definitely a touch rounder and warmer. Part of it may be the playback console but Anesini usually adds a touch around 8k or above. Not like Inglot, but he does.

Another reason to check out Kevan Budd's work. In the Elvis CD jungle, his album remasters are not that easy to locate, especially with titles like "Elvis" and "Elvis Presley"...I have never seen them in Germany. Anesini's comps ("Elvis '56", "Elvis By The Presleys") are much more common.

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:27 pm

Xenu wrote:So things've gotten better?

Yes, a hell of a lot better.