Question about London "More Hot Rocks" CD's

Just what the name says.
JWB

Question about London "More Hot Rocks" CD's

Postby JWB » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:25 am

I bought these two discs from an amazon.com seller, but what arrived has caught me off guard.

The catalog numbers are 65 755 1 and 65 756 9 and they say CLUB EDITION on the top right corner of the back insert next to the catalog number. The back insert and booklet are black rather than the usual white if that means anything. The London logo on the insert is "old" style but on the discs are the "new" style logo.

The matrix numbers on the discs are 820 515-2 01 and 820 516-2 01. The discs are made in West Germany by PDO. Are these the "correct" London discs with record club packaging/catalog numbers?

And the track order is all screwed up, which I think it's suppsed to be.

I have a knack for accidentally finding interesting London discs. First Hot Rocks 1&2 in a slipcase, and now this.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:33 am

Shit, them's RARE.

However, I don't think there was more than one mastering of these discs. So they should SOUND fine.

dudelsack

Re: Question about London "More Hot Rocks" CD's

Postby dudelsack » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 am

JWB wrote:The back insert and booklet are black rather than the usual white if that means anything. The London logo on the insert is "old" style but on the discs are the "new" style logo.

And, by the way, this is normal for this title (as well as December's and Got Live If You Want It). I do have an MHR1 with an old logo on the disc, too.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:18 pm

Interesting variant.

Enjoy your super-wide Dandelion; you've earned it.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Andreas

Re: Question about London "More Hot Rocks" CD's

Postby Andreas » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:18 am

JWB wrote:And the track order is all screwed up, which I think it's supposed to be.

What does that mean?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:39 am

The London "More Hot Rocks" has a weird track order, in comparison to the standard ABKCO variants.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:49 am

Xenu wrote:The London "More Hot Rocks" has a weird track order, in comparison to the standard ABKCO variants.

Compared to the standard ABKCO CD - it's the same as the ABKCO tape though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Really? You've probably mentioned that elsewhere, but I had forgotten. Curious. Why would London follow THAT tracklist?

Actually, this reminds me. Can someone with a standard ABKCO vinyl copy (pre "digitally remastered" of course) of MHR confirm a few things for me?

a) Is "I'm Free" the slower version on "December's Children" or the slightly faster version that gets used on the reissue of "December's Children" and "More Hot Rocks" (as well as the original London "More Hot Rocks" CD).

b) Is "What To Do" stereo or mono?

c) Same with "I Can't Be Satisfied?"

I find it curious that the old ABKCO CD seems to suggest that they didn't have a few of the "More Hot Rocks" tapes...and that the London discs seems to suggest the same thing. You'd think ABKCO would be content with just grabbing the album master and putting that out.

-D
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Xenu wrote:Really? You've probably mentioned that elsewhere, but I had forgotten. Curious. Why would London follow THAT tracklist?

At some point I mentioned it.

Actually, this reminds me. Can someone with a standard ABKCO vinyl copy (pre "digitally remastered" of course) of MHR confirm a few things for me?

Don't you have one?

I find it curious that the old ABKCO CD seems to suggest that they didn't have a few of the "More Hot Rocks" tapes...and that the London discs seems to suggest the same thing. You'd think ABKCO would be content with just grabbing the album master and putting that out.

They didn't for Hot Rocks (Paint It Black and Honky Tonk Woman in mono).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:02 pm

lukpac wrote:Honky Tonk Woman

That's "Honky Tonk Women."

Jeez. :roll:

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Sorry, I'm not as anal about these things as you SC folk...

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:32 pm

Anal? ANAL?!?!?

Good day, sir! :x

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Good day indeed!

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:12 pm

lukpac wrote:Don't you have one?

It's more about the effort.

Fine, fine, fine.
-------------

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 pm

Xenu wrote:Really? You've probably mentioned that elsewhere, but I had forgotten. Curious. Why would London follow THAT tracklist?

Well, if this *is* one of the Londons that were sourced from Mofi's digital masters, which were assembled to be the source for Mofi's Stones *cassettes* (Mofi having been licensed to make Stones cassettes, but not CDs, from digital transfers of the master tapes).....the ordering makes sense.

If it *isn't*... I have no fucking idea. :)
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant