Question about London "More Hot Rocks" CD's

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:56 pm

krabapple wrote:Well, if this *is* one of the Londons that were sourced from Mofi's digital masters, which were assembled to be the source for Mofi's Stones *cassettes* (Mofi having been licensed to make Stones cassettes, but not CDs, from digital transfers of the master tapes).....the ordering makes sense.

If it *isn't*... I have no fucking idea. :)

Two things:

1) The digital masters weren't created for MFSL cassette use. It just happened that they were done on the same equipment.

2) It's the ABKCO cassette with the strange order. Yet that tape uses the same versions as the ABKCO CD.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:10 pm

If you havent checked yet...

Xenu wrote:Can someone with a standard ABKCO vinyl copy (pre "digitally remastered" of course) of MHR confirm a few things for me?

a) Is "I'm Free" the slower version on "December's Children" or the slightly faster version that gets used on the reissue of "December's Children" and "More Hot Rocks" (as well as the original London "More Hot Rocks" CD).

Its slower than the December's Children SACD. It clocks at 2:23.

Xenu wrote:b) Is "What To Do" stereo or mono?

Mono

Xenu wrote:c) Same with "I Can't Be Satisfied?"

Yep. It's mono too.

The only tracks in stereo are:
Out of Time through Sittin on a Fence (Tracks 1-3 side 2)
She's a Rainbow through Let it Bleed (Tracks 1-5 side 3)

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:07 pm

Interesting. "What To Do" is mono on the ABKCO CD (old), but I have no idea whether it's a vintage mix or a knockdown. "Satisfied" is stereo, though.

So if the ABKCO LP of this has the "slower" version of I'm Free, exactly where and why did London unearth the faster, better sounding version?

Buh?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:22 pm

I suppose I'll answer my own question with the obvious: the LP master from "Out of Our Heads" UK. This would bring up a more difficult question: anybody here have a vintage pressing of the UK "Out Of Our Heads" (which I've never even seen) for comparison purposes?
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911