Buffalo Springfield Mixes/Long Bluebird

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Buffalo Springfield Mixes/Long Bluebird

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:12 am

In reading some stuff about what was left off of the Buffalo Springfield box set, John Einarson notes that the single mixes of Uno Mundo and Merry-Go-Round could have been included. Does anyone know how these are different from the LP mixes? Are they mono or stereo? Are there any other single mixes that differ from the LP mixes?

Also, how different is the mono mix of Again?

For anyone interested, here's a treat for you: the nine-minute version of Bluebird, only found on the 2 LP set from 1973. It's available on a number of bootlegs, but every copy I've heard sounds like garbage in comparison. There are a couple of minor clicks here and there, but... You be the judge.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:32 am

vinyl is for capitalist pigs

Ron

Postby Ron » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:08 am

Great post, Mike. Let me be the first to offer a hearty "Welcome aboard, matey!"
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Ed Bishop

Re: Buffalo Springfield Mixes/Long Bluebird

Postby Ed Bishop » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:30 pm

lukpac wrote:In reading some stuff about what was left off of the Buffalo Springfield box set, John Einarson notes that the single mixes of Uno Mundo and Merry-Go-Round could have been included. Does anyone know how these are different from the LP mixes? Are they mono or stereo? Are there any other single mixes that differ from the LP mixes?

Ah, been a while, Luke. But, since no one's bothered to answer your queries...

First, the single was titled "Un - Mundo"(incorrectly)and was issued in stereo on stock and mono on DJ. The difference in this stereo mix, compared to that heard on LAST TIME AROUND, is that it's not muted and restrained like the Lp version--I think the brass and other background things are mixed louder. "Merry-Go-Round" I'll have to check; in any case, the singles from LTA were all specially mixed to mono, and "Special Care" fades at around 2:55, though there's not a lot different about it relative to the stereo version(this single was mono, as was "On The Way Home").

As for other singles mixes, see below, and....sadly, the mono mix of "For What It's Worth" which is also a different and unique mix, was left off the M/S Buffalo Springfield, and it really is inexplicable, since "Burned"--which has never been in stereo--was included in mono TWICE. Doh! I'd have to check, but I think they missed the stereo "Baby Don't Scold Me" on that one as well...

Also, how different is the mono mix of Again?

VERY different. Like the advance 45 releases, "Mr. Soul" has different guitar work(hell, it might as well be a different take!); "Rock'n'Roll Woman" is a punchier, meatier mix--really kinetic--and on and on...like many Atco/Atlantic Lp's, thanks to the many singles on these albums that were mixed well ahead of the stereo versions, the differences are often profound and, I daresay, delightful to hear. That was typical for so many 1966/67 mono Lp's you could make a very long list of essential mono pressings--that is, most of your faves from that time frame, and some from '68, too.

For anyone interested, here's a treat for you: the nine-minute version of Bluebird, only found on the 2 LP set from 1973. It's available on a number of bootlegs, but every copy I've heard sounds like garbage in comparison. There are a couple of minor clicks here and there, but... You be the judge.

Nice job! :) Always keep your vinyl, I say, and nobody consulted for the box wanted that one on there--hell, until the 1973 Lp came out they didn't know it was going to be issued, and didn't want it issued, for whatever reasons. Too bad, I kinda like it, although it does ramble..but then, what 9+-minute tune doesn't?

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:53 pm

The mono For What It's Worth was released on the box set (it's ONLY in mono on there). Baby Don't Scold Me has never shown up in stereo on CD to my knowledge (although I've got a rip of that as well).

I'd like to check out those alt mixes, but I think tracking them down will be next to impossible.

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:22 pm

I've got a mono copy of "Again" and will be making a CDR within the next few weeks. I'll send you a copy.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:06 pm

Methinks you should have the laser turntable people make a transfer for you...

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:22 pm

AGAIN is a surprisingly uncommon album in mono, though only a handful of mono's near the end are rare, except for the two Doors mono Lp's, which turn up so rarely in any condition they seem to have pressed far less of those than other Elektra Lp's of the period, with the possible exceptions of Judy Collins' WILDFLOWERS. My copy of AGAIN is pretty rough; I'm still waiting on one I came across recently, to find out if I won the bid or not.

You know, a laser TT and a good burner, and the bootleggers could raise some real hell reissuing those mono Lp's or superior Lp mixes and driving the majors crazy. I don't advocate that, but let's face it, the big boys have sat on their hands for too long on some of these, using the excuse there's 'no market' for unique mixes of legendary albums, as if most casual listeners would even notice something's in mono. Well, not my neighbors, my friends, my sister, my girlfriend, mother, brothers, on and on....hell, I still run into VU fans on the net who don't realize "I'll Be Your Mirror" has never been in stereo! And if diehards don't notice or care, who will except us?

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:49 pm

Mono albums seem to have an absurdly little amount of "bootleg" attention (which is, FWIW, why I'm now endeavoring to make my own transfers, decent turntable or no). For years, the only mono Stones I ever saw on the bootleg market was this two-disc, shabby looking CDR of Satanic through Bleed (with the single version of Street Fighting Man thrown in for good measure...and that was the *only* place I knew of where one could find that). And that's for the freakin' Stones, although to be fair, stereo content was always the bigger issue for them! The Beatles were always a special case, and the Who barely existed in that regard (thanks to the fact that they had exactly three albums that could've fallen under the stereo/mono category: one of them was only in mono until recently, one was *officially* released in mono on CD, and one was one of the Pepper-era mono-CD extraveganzas).

During my period at sh.tv, I acquired mono CDRs of Spirit's first album, Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, and several others. Things I had been looking for for years, really. I've been trying to organize better rips of the mono Zappa material (I have copies, but they're all from cassettes of LPs). None of this was ever booted, even though some of these are fantastically different. Maybe the ethics of "pirating" get in the way? But you never see any interest at all from some quarters.

Hopefully, over the next few weeks I'll do transfers of the mono Family tha tPlays Together, Friday on My Mind, Let's Live For Today, Beau Brummels '66, Triangle (fold-down?), And Then Along Comes...The Association, Renaissance, Birthday (fold-down?), Friar Tuck and his Psychedelic Guitar (which I am then hocking on eBay...I had it up once, and it had reached $90, and then some bastard noticed that it was a PROMO copy...gah. Taken down.) and several others. There's no market for this...I mean, c'mon, the fucking Easybeats? The fucking Grass Roots? THE COCKSUCKING MOTHERFUCKING BEAU BRUMMELS?

But I'll run off CDRs for whomever wants 'em.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:59 pm

I've been watching a few UK Beatles' mono LPs on eBay. With 11 hours to go a copy of "Revolver" is over $500. And it's been booted. But you've got to wonder if at sometime in the future the desirability of other [less popular] acts' mono stuff will increase. But even then it will probably be on a group-by-group basis. The Doors? Their mono LPs fetch big bucks. Beau Brummels? Eh? [*I* love 'um, though.]

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:01 am

mono gives me sinus pressure

prof. stoned

Postby prof. stoned » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Luke,

Stumbled on this thread while looking for something else.
Thanks for the mp3. Still available after 5 years EXACTLY.
I have done a rip of the mono AGAIN recently.
It's on demonoid, if you still need it.
Or PM if you wanna get it another way.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Buffalo Springfield Mixes/Long Bluebird

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Ed Bishop wrote:First, the single was titled "Un - Mundo"(incorrectly)and was issued in stereo on stock and mono on DJ. The difference in this stereo mix, compared to that heard on LAST TIME AROUND, is that it's not muted and restrained like the Lp version--I think the brass and other background things are mixed louder. "Merry-Go-Round" I'll have to check

Responding 5 years later...

The DJ copy is stereo as well. It's even the same cutting as the stock copy.

"Un-Mundo" has some extra guitar near the end, and Merry-Go-Round as some percussion in the breaks not on the LP mix. The overall feel of both is also a bit different.

Then again, I guess that is all here:

http://forums.lukpac.org/viewtopic.php? ... pringfield
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD