New Mason Proffit remasters

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

New Mason Proffit remasters

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Now that the One Way Come & Gone is out of print, it looks like Wounded Bird is reissuing the first two albums, this time individually:

http://www.woundedbird.com/mason_proffit/1019.htm
http://www.woundedbird.com/mason_proffit/1009.htm

Perhaps this will stop Come & Gone from going for $50 on eBay.

I'm assuming these are new transfers, but I don't know for sure yet.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:25 pm

DATs from WB, straight transfers from those. According to Wounded Bird, anyway. I would assume they did stuff like fades.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Heh.

So I got the discs today. They look quite nice, better than some previous Wounded Bird efforts. As for the sound, they sounded good. Quite good. Just like the One Way CD of Come & Gone.

Hmm.

I ripped some tracks to my computer from Wanted and C&G, and as I was getting ProTools working, I popped the new discs in my CD player. Surprise - the discs have CD-TEXT. And, surprise, nobody actually entered text - "track01", "track02", etc on Wanted. On Movin' Toward Happiness, though, the first track is "track12" - which of course is exactly what track it is on Come & Gone. Advancing through the tracks, I wondered what would happen once I got to Let Me Know Where You're Going - the original side 2 was in a different order on Come & Gone. Rather than "track21" though, it shows up as "Let me know". Perhaps somebody labeled these files so they wouldn't get them mixed up?

And, of course, ProTools showed them to be digitally identical.

I suppose I'm the only one that cares, but it's amusing...