Canadian Beatles CDs

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:19 pm

I don't think they went that far. Although it would be easy enough to tell if you sync'd up the remixes to the original mixes.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JamieGillis

Postby JamieGillis » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:03 am

Update

The version of Help! in that torrent is the remix, so I uploaded the Canadian I got from usenet to oink for people that don't have usenet access. http://oink.me.uk/details.php?id=528699

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:37 am

lukpac wrote:I don't recall offhand where the organ ended up. Anyway, it *seems* like they would have had to have used at least 5 tracks for the YS remix. Which means there's a take Lewisohn didn't account for.

Organ is hard right along with the lead guitar. Percussion seems to be just right of center. One strange note - at the *very* end the percussion moves hard right.

The mixes on YS are certainly interesting, but I honestly don't find them very pleasant to listen to.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks, Jamie.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Rubber Soul in FLAC form is going up on Usenet at present.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

RDK

Postby RDK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:39 am

Okay, so who can "invite" me onto Oink? :wink:
ray

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Sat May 06, 2006 4:28 pm

So I guess I'm just old and stupid, but I can't seem to find the DA version of Help that's out there on usenet. Can someone help me with searching it out: ie, what group's it on, the date it was posted, what's in the header? I'm apparently too feeble to find it myself.

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Sun May 07, 2006 12:37 am

alt.binaries.beatles

Posted 4/11
-Matt

Lance Hall

Postby Lance Hall » Tue May 09, 2006 7:43 am

czeskleba wrote:So I guess I'm just old and stupid, but I can't seem to find the DA version of Help that's out there on usenet. Can someone help me with searching it out: ie, what group's it on, the date it was posted, what's in the header? I'm apparently too feeble to find it myself.

I couldn't see it at first either till I did a "download ALL posts" in Newsbin.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue May 09, 2006 6:23 pm

I really want to find these so I can sell them and become rich.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Wed May 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Thanks Matt. I could not find it using binsearch or yabse for some reason, but finally located it with binaries.nl.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 10, 2006 9:02 pm

What do you think?

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Wed May 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Are you asking me? I haven't had a chance to burn Help onto CD yet. I've listened to Rubber Soul twice in the car. It sounds fine to me. Unlike so many at hoffman.tv, I'm not someone who has huge problems with the mastering of the 1987 Beatles CDs I've heard (which would be all but the first four). This one seems about on par with the others. It's not the audiophile masterpiece thomoz wants to make it out to be, just a decent transfer. It's nice to actually hear the bass on Rubber Soul again.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Thu May 11, 2006 1:24 am

Audiophile masterpiece or not, I would say these two are the best available CD versions of the stereo mixes of these two albums. Not more, not less. I found them more pleasant than the Dr. Ebbetts MFSL transfers, but a closer comparison should be in order.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu May 11, 2006 1:52 pm

I finally found one positive aspect about being exiled in Florida until July: recently found 2 different copies of the Disque Americ Rubber Soul, used (paid $4 and $7, respectively). Why were those here, in two different shops??

I theorize:

1) Tourists drove all the way to Disney World. By the time they were due to head back to Canada, they thought "NO FUCKING WAY ARE WE GOING TO LISTEN TO THAT BEATLES CD OVER AND OVER AGAIN ON THE DRIVE BACK; LET'S TRADE IT FOR SOMETHING ELSE." ( I think it's generally true that tourists trade in CDs here, because I notice a disproportionate amount of European, Canadian, Japanese and South American CDs in the used sections around here -- particularly at the places closer to tourist spots.)

2) Some SHite is going to make me SUPER RICH -- and he's going to beg me for giving him the privilege to do so. Hahahahahaha!

I'm thinking of making this a project of sorts. I'm waiting to find an original mix of Help, then sell all three discs as a lot -- at a ludicrous minimum bid. Let's see how high irrational Beatles fans will go. Should be fun!
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central