Canadian Beatles CDs

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Canadian Beatles CDs

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:04 am

I don't normally pick up stuff from SH.tv here, but I'm just too stunned to pass this one up:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... hp?t=77582

button wrote:The other night I was at a friend's house listening to some CD's. He put Rubber Soul on, but it didn't quite sound "right". Now, this is one of my favorite all time albums, and I know it inside out, but this sounded "different". So I borrowed the CD to do some research.

I compared it to my West German pressing, and sure enough, it WAS different.... I searched the SH forums - nothing. But I did find a link to this very useful site:

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-1965.html

Based on the above site, I can confirm that my friend's CD contains the original 1965 UK mixes. Every single variation listed is on this pressing.

My first thought was that this must be a bootleg, however, this disc was bought in a legitimate music store (in Vancouver, Canada, in 1992 whilst my friend was on vacation).

Anyway the details are:

Catalog #: C2 46440
Matrix Code: made by / fabrique par DISQUE AMERIC CANADA EA41 <011> C246440

munson66 wrote:Can't find my Rubber Soul, but my copy of Help! is here at the office. Looks a lot like Button's copy of RS. On the inner ring, it shows up as manufactured by Disque Americ, and the code EA31<011>C246439 appears. Same Parlophone logo to the left, with the Capitol trademark disclaimer on the right.

Thomoz, what should I be listening for on "Dizzy Miss Lizzie"? John's vocal sounds clean, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Sure enough, the clips don't lie:

Drive My Car
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31JL ... VD2ZH4BFTC

I'm Looking Through You
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=318X ... NO5J0VEJKC

Run For Your Life
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ASV ... S687QWLN32

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0474 ... 9J5YTGPDW8

As I've mentioned to David and Phil, I'm in utter amazement that these have remained apparently unknown for the last 15 years (or more). It begs the question - what else is out there we don't know about?

I haven't done any type of A/B yet, but the clips sure sound good.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:14 am

That knocked me out, too. Like you, I'm astonished that this is just now coming to light. I have to wonder how many of these are out in the wild. I predict a mad run on Canadian used CD shops and outrageous eBay action.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:38 am

It's about as bizarre as it gets. This is really the fourth wall of crazy CD shenanigans: something actually going on with Beatles UK CDs? The hell?

I'm not getting involved in it. It isn't so much that I don't want to...more that I would like, for one more fleeting moment, to pretend that there are CERTAINTIES in this cruel world.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:43 am

So when do we take a road trip to Canada? Windsor has to have some used CD shops, right?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:25 am

Wait, how they do sound? "Flat transfers"? Man, we gotta get some FLAC's, 'cuz I'm not buying these again.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:34 am

Check out the clips above.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:41 am

lukpac wrote:Check out the clips above.

They're OK. I can't wait until people get over the incredible, how-the-fuck-did-this-happen novelty and start complaining that the Dr. Ebbetts are better. Me, I'm glad to FINALLY HAVE THESE FROM SOMETHING OTHER THAN A NEEDLE DROP.

I'm still in total shock. This is exactly the sort of thing that is never supposed to happen...random CD pressing of something contains a surprise. And if it DOES happen, it's supposed to be something exotic, like the Ugandan pressing made out of the finest conflict aluminum. Not *Canada*.

It does make one wonder what might lurk on the other discs.

So let's start theorizing. While there's some odd speculation (as usual) over at sh.tv on the origins of these...I mean, they *have* to be from digital masters accidentally sent over, right? Presumably, reference digital copies were made of the original mixes, and somehow these got pulled accidentally.

Thing is, this really throws a wrench into the EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME WORLDWIDE, PERIOD canard. If this could happen in Canada, surely it isn't beyond the pale that some other transfer/mastering attempt of Beatles for Sale might have shown up somewhere, right?
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Xenu wrote:So let's start theorizing.

Let's not and say we did.

MK

Postby MK » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:32 pm

BTW, why's SH still blocking links from this site? They're like an old cranky neighbor that refuses to return the football that landed in his yard. "That'll teach you kids!"
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Xenu wrote:They're OK.

Just compared Drive My Car to my LP dub. It's indeed a bit thin, but some extra bass and a midrange cut do help.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:54 pm

As Luke recently pointed out to me, I'm somewhat ashamed to notice that I incorrectly nipped this one in the bud. Six years ago.

I'm a jerk.

Rubber Soul (Google Groups)
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:00 pm

It looks like some things never got archived in that thread, which makes following it a bit problematic today.

Nevertheless, I still can't believe more people didn't notice.

Although I have to think that if the first 4 had been issued in stereo by mistake *somebody* would have been screaming about it. Then again...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:53 pm

I guess that cements my feeling that nobody listens to Usenet.

I'm still in shock. Did I mention that?
-------------

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:20 pm

Your comments are an insult to George Martin, Capitol USA (the Capitol that God favors), and Beatles fans -- especially AMERICAN Beatles fans. (It's merely an unfortunate accident of history that the Beatles weren't born in Steubenville or Kalamazoo.)

George Martin remixed Rubber Soul and Help! in 1987 for worldwide release. Now, what part of worldwide -- worldwide, per the wishes of Sir George Martin -- don't you understand??? Yes, I'm talking to YOU, Canada! I am personally sickened to discover that some IRRESPONSIBLE retard at Canuck Capitol pulled the wrong tape. Sorry, folks, but if Capitol of Canada is NOT selling the George Martin remix then they are committing FRAUD and MESSING WITH HISTORY.

I want the person or persons responsible for this MONUMENTAL DISASTER to be FIRED and PILLORIED. I want Capitol of Canada to issue a personal apology to all Beatles fans, particularly AMERICAN Beatles fans. I also demand that we make this a 496 page thread full of hysterical accusation and sky-is-falling conspiracy theory.

And don't you even think about making a 2006 fold down from these FRAUDULENT Canuck Cee Dees.....
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:I am personally sickened to discover that some IRRESPONSIBLE retard at Canuck Capitol pulled the wrong tape.

If that retard had been hoisted on his own petard, we wouldn't even be discussing Goodwin's canard.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.