The new ELO remasters / assholes on SHTV

Just what the name says.
Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:39 am

JWB, we're happy to to provide you with your very own forum to moderate at Stereo Central, if you'd like.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:00 am

Well I'd like to get in there first at least. I sent in my membership a few hours ago but it hasn't been approved yet.

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:03 am

I was just thinking - My life would be so much easier if I just gave in and sucked up to people, but I refuse. I'm not about to let some fucker from Sony tell me I'm deaf. How about NO!

22d row

Postby 22d row » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:31 am

I read the entire sh.tv thread and I don't see any reason for JWB to have been banned. Was there a post that they removed?

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:47 am

22d row wrote:I read the entire sh.tv thread and I don't see any reason for JWB to have been banned. Was there a post that they removed?

See the first post in this thread.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:30 am

JWB wrote:Well I'd like to get in there first at least. I sent in my membership a few hours ago but it hasn't been approved yet.

You're approved now. Have fun!
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:38 am

JWB is reinstated and Steve is asking for a wider opinion...

JWB - congratulations on the shortest sh.tv ban (that I know of anyway ...)
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:51 am

Don't go back. I regret it more often than not. What's the point? Threads degenerate so quickly now...

Someone could post "Say, what's the best version of 'Southern Accents' on CD?" I know most of you think this is a ridiculous question, but hey, I like this sort of thing. The first response will be someone saying "GET THE RECORD." The second post will be someone remembering how he bought the record when he was four. The third post will be someone saying "that album sucks, go with Hard Promises." The fourth post will be the first jab against the remaster and the Playback box. The fifth post will be the first unkind comparison to Roger McGuinn. Et cetera.

Look at the Tug of War thread.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm

As much as I've had urges to re-open the Snakepit, I'd still rather not. Can this be taken over to SC?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:36 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:JWB is reinstated and Steve is asking for a wider opinion...

JWB - congratulations on the shortest sh.tv ban (that I know of anyway ...)

"The person who sacked JWB, has been sacked'

well, I can dream can't I?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

MK

Postby MK » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:19 pm

Dude, any thread about Tug of War deserves to turn into a pile of shit.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

who's_next

Postby who's_next » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Ok. I just finished reading the entire thread. I'll be honest in not knowing Rob's official capacity over at Sony. But if he doesn't want to be bothered with a layman's opinion, then maybe don't visit an audio enthusiast's site?

I don't care if Rob is the CEO over at Sony, there's no reason for such a knee-jerk reaction, much less his condescending attitude. Even if his posts are generally grounded in fact, it doesn't give him a single excuse.

Although, you certainly don't need to be a mastering engineer to perform a null-test either. And it certainly hasn't taken many credentials to have become a Peter Mew, or a Steve Hoffman etc. But then, do many of these engineers really make excuses for their limited knowledge in audio/digital theory? In particular, the mission statement, and 'facts' supported and consistently reinforced over at Steve's forums are sometimes quite embarrassing.... just the recent thread on jitter alone.

Otherwise, if a null-test proves these discs identical -- or even just fairly identical -- then Rob owes JWB a *huge* apology.

MK

Postby MK » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:22 pm

He owes one, all right:

Originally Posted by Phil Elliott wrote:I just emailed the question to Rob Caiger at FTM. His short reply:

"Based on Pete with some tweaks that Jeff wanted to make on some of the tracks.

Rob"

I'm not an ELO fan, but Caiger seems to be a good authority on this. This is FTM's website: http://www.ftmusic.com/join/join.html
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:24 pm

So in the end, they are the Mew discs with tweaks?
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:38 pm

And did Palmaccio do a version that ended up on the shelf? If so, why?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney