The new ELO remasters / assholes on SHTV

Just what the name says.
JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 pm

Steve Hoffman just sent me a PM explaining that he personally unbanned me after receiving several complaints, and after reviewing the thread in question. I am very surprised, and thankful, to say the least.

I'm curious as to who complained, and how so many people knew about my predicament. I didn't even think I was that "popular" of a poster.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:30 pm

The only difference I could hear listening to the samples that JWB provided, it sounds like the strings are slightly clearer on the new Sony though that could probably be one of Lynne's tweaks.
Craig

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 pm

who's_next wrote:Otherwise, if a null-test proves these discs identical -- or even just fairly identical -- then Rob owes JWB a *huge* apology.

You are right about the null-test but I think Rob owes JWB an apology, end of story.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:16 pm

It would be the right move, but I think Mr. LoVerde will probably steer clear of that thread. The only way an apology might come is if SH forces it.

Just out of curiousity, I thought the ELO catalog was already remastered (not a fan). Are they re-remastering it? It doesn't surprise me if they are, I was just curious if there's anything wrong with the other remasters.
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:35 pm

Not domestically, at least, except for Eldorado, Discovery and Time, which were reissued a few years ago. After these two new reissues, Third Day, Face The Music and A New World Record are coming in May, I think, with the promise of more later. I'm not a huge fan, but the current/original CDs sound pretty weak next to the Flashback box, which was remastered in 2000, around the same time as those first three remasters.

They may have been re-done overseas, but this is the first remaster in the US. I suspect Sony is unloading a bunch of remasters they'd planned back before the SACD fiasco, between the recent Cheap Trick discs, the Mott The Hoople reissues, and these ELO remasters. For both Cheap Trick and ELO, they'd started what looked like comprehensive reissue campaigns back around 2000 or so, and then just stopped.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Secret Messages was also re-done in the first batch.

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:40 pm

Rspaight wrote:They may have been re-done overseas, but this is the first remaster in the US. I suspect Sony is unloading a bunch of remasters they'd planned back before the SACD fiasco, between the recent Cheap Trick discs, the Mott The Hoople reissues, and these ELO remasters. For both Cheap Trick and ELO, they'd started what looked like comprehensive reissue campaigns back around 2000 or so, and then just stopped.
Ryan

The samething happened with B.O.C. reissues (stopped at Agents of Fortune) which is supposed to get going again soon with Spectres and the second Live album. They skipped over On Your Feet or On Your Knees for some reason :x

I am also curious how the Eldorado remaster sounds. Worth getting?

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:25 am

Alexander Keith wrote:They skipped over On Your Feet or On Your Knees for some reason :x

The current CD is horrific. What's with that electronic racket during the "whip" speech?

I did my own needle drop remaster with the sides connected and some of the cheesy hard editing smoothed over. It rocks. I hate the sound quality of the LP because certain tracks are very muddy and others are kind of shrill. They recorded a bunch of different shows and probably mixed them at different studios at different times and stuff, so the sound is wildly inconsistent. So I fixed a lot of that by splitting the WAV's apart and treating each track with a different EQ. I came pretty close to figuring out which songs are from the same shows or series of shows. I love the results. I'll never play the standard CD again.

I think the next best thing would have to be a complete remix.

MK

Postby MK » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 am

JWB wrote:I'm curious as to who complained, and how so many people knew about my predicament. I didn't even think I was that "popular" of a poster.

They can delete all the posts they want, but as one SH member pointed out, if you put an alert on that thread, you get them all e-mailed to you (assuming you set that option)...I wonder how many users had alerts for that thread?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:03 pm

I'm not a big fan of pulling posts with no notification.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:40 pm

Alexander Keith wrote:I am also curious how the Eldorado remaster sounds. Worth getting?

Can't say -- the only CD I've ever had is a mildly lossy bootleg copy of the DCC. :oops: I also have a so-so vinyl copy.

If I pick up some of the forthcoming remasters, I might go back and get Eldorado as well to have a legit CD.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:27 pm

JWB wrote:Steve Hoffman just sent me a PM explaining that he personally unbanned me after receiving several complaints, and after reviewing the thread in question. I am very surprised, and thankful, to say the least.

I'm curious as to who complained, and how so many people knew about my predicament. I didn't even think I was that "popular" of a poster.

Sounds like one of his attack dogs got an itchy trigger finger. Would have loved to have seen the ensuing conversation...

MK

Postby MK » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:43 pm

It may be that one CD. Al Q. posted and mentioned that the best he and Joe P. had to work with was a hissy analog copy and the CD mastered by Mew; the copy, ITO, was bad enough to warrent mastering from the damn CD. Attempts to get the analog master pulled was met with bullshit that the CD was 'definitive.' So apparently the source for that album reissue was a Mew CD tweaked by Joe P. If I actually listened to ELO, I'd be pissed. (Everything else is presumably from the original master.)
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Companies just love to hoard tapes nowadays. Wounded Bird had to master from a DAT to release "Argent" and "Circus." I mean, I sort of understand the hoarding for the Beatles, and/or for bands that get exploited, but really; what does Sony think will happen to "Argent?"
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:19 pm

Xenu wrote:Companies just love to hoard tapes nowadays. Wounded Bird had to master from a DAT to release "Argent" and "Circus." I mean, I sort of understand the hoarding for the Beatles, and/or for bands that get exploited, but really; what does Sony think will happen to "Argent?"

Did Sony do a transfer and then ship the DAT to Wounded Bird? Or was it an existing transfer of some sort?

I'm not sure it's that uncommon. The Traffic remasters were transferred to digital in the UK (where the tapes are stored), and then the digital transfers sent to the US for mastering. I've heard similar stores for small labels, where they get DAT transfers instead of the master itself.

That doesn't explain this situation, though. Sony certainly should have at least been able to get a new digital transfer of the master if they wanted it, if not the analog master itself.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD