Dark Side of the Moon DVD-A (alan parsons quad mix)

Just what the name says.
krabapple

Dark Side of the Moon DVD-A (alan parsons quad mix)

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:56 am

someone managed to do a very nice 4.1 digital transfer purportedly from the quad master tapes...and now its been torrented . Sounds very good and it's got nice graphics too (suppoedly the file contains the DVDA and DTS verisons, but I've only tried playing the DVDA)

www.torrentz.com/torrent_554608.html

I dl'ed it with bittorrent and burned the file (a disc image) to DVD+R using ImgBurn

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_s ... mgburn.cfm

because i couldn't find my copy of DVD Decrypter ;>
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:36 am

Possibly from a quad 8-track or open reel? I know it was issued on 8-track; don't know about open reel.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:51 am

lukpac wrote:Possibly from a quad 8-track or open reel? I know it was issued on 8-track; don't know about open reel.

Supposedly the real deal. Not an 8-track. The studio tapes themselves.
From ther readme file that accompanies the dl

Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
(limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.
Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.
The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to
whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.
It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release
The disc will play on all DVD players, as it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC, AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWNSAMPLING, AND WILL REDUCE THE LISTENING PLEASURE FOR OTHERS.

Someone put a LOT of work into this.

There's discussion over on the Quadraphonic Quad

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/ ... php?t=6271

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:04 pm

Torrentz.com isn't the usual place to find stuff like this, right?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Sounds interesting. I may have to check it out, although I honestly have very little interest in that album.

Too bad this hasn't been done for some other quad albums...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Interesting comments:

"The surround experience shouldn't be a stereo experience with ambience. It should be four stereo sound fields. I tend to work on the outsides when I mix for surround. A lot of people choose to go into the room, but that's asking for clarity problems—it clouds things up. In my quad mix of Dark Side, I liked the idea of action happening in all four channels. I wasn't particularly interested in it sounding like a band onstage."

Today, Parsons tells me his impression of Guthrie’s six-channel mix. "I'm generally rather disappointed. It's not very discrete. There is some discrete information in there. But I found myself, about two-thirds of the way through, kind of forgetting that this was surround. James was possibly a little too true to the original mix. He could have taken some risks, as I did on the quad. One of the parameters I always work with when I'm mixing for surround is: Keep the Interest. If there's nothing going on, then stick something in the back."

I *like* those horns in the rear channels of Chicago. Of course, I was the kid with my speakers on opposite sides of the room. Well...I guess I still am.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 pm

lukpac wrote:Sounds interesting. I may have to check it out, although I honestly have very little interest in that album.

Too bad this hasn't been done for some other quad albums...

Lots have been 'guerilla' converted to high-quality DTS...though not from the original master tapes. You can understand why that will be a rare occurence.

Officially, there are some surround releases out there that are sourced from the original quad tapes , eg., Jeff Beck's 'Blow by Blow', Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells', 'Nektar's 'Remember the Future', and a dozen or more classical reissues.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:02 pm

There are of course a number of DTS CD official releases...

Somebody sent me a DTS Chicago from 8 track which sounds pretty good...

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:09 pm

I have a copy of this from Pedro's which was supposedly sourced from a quad LP. Whoever did that transfer went a little heavy handed on the NR so I think I'll definitely take a shot at this.

Overall, I think I like Parsons' quad mix better than Guthrie's. While not bad, Guthrie seemed to be a bit more conservative in his panning than Parsons. There's a few similarities here and there though I never really sat down and compared the similarities and differences between the two although there are some that stand out to me (Parsons' "Brain Damage" is missing some of the voices, his mix of "On The Run" is also more interesting). If I'm not mistaken and I don't know if it's referenced in the article that Luke linked above, the main reason the band chose not to use Parsons' quad mix because they felt it was too gimicky.

Would love to see the same thing that happened here also occur with "Wish You Were Here." I've got a DTS CD from quad 8-track and would love an upgrade there.
Craig