Big Star: Thoid

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Big Star: Thoid

Postby Xenu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Thanks to a generous sh.tv member (twice in two months! Yahoo!), I recently received a CDR of a peculiar variation of the above album: the PVC Records CD, which I previously didn't even know existed.

Intriguingly, the PVC disc seems to be from at least a partially different source. While the Ryko, Line, and Castle all vary soundwise, they all have pretty much the same *content* (bonus tracks on the Ryko excepted). Oddly enough, though, the PVC CD has at least some studio chatter unheard elsewhere, and is missing the chatter that normally begins "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On."

Fades may also be slightly longer on the PVC CD, but I haven't had time to do a comparison.

Anybody want to hear clips?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Chris M

Re: Big Star: Thoid

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:27 am

Xenu wrote:Thanks to a generous sh.tv member (twice in two months! Yahoo!), I recently received a CDR of a peculiar variation of the above album: the PVC Records CD, which I previously didn't even know existed.

Intriguingly, the PVC disc seems to be from at least a partially different source. While the Ryko, Line, and Castle all vary soundwise, they all have pretty much the same *content* (bonus tracks on the Ryko excepted). Oddly enough, though, the PVC CD has at least some studio chatter unheard elsewhere, and is missing the chatter that normally begins "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On."

Fades may also be slightly longer on the PVC CD, but I haven't had time to do a comparison.

Anybody want to hear clips?

I didn't even know a PVC CD existed until that sh.tv thread. How does the mastering compare to the Ryko? Sure, let's here some clips..

J_Partyka

Re: Big Star: Thoid

Postby J_Partyka » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:54 am

Xenu wrote:Anybody want to hear clips?

I'd be interested to hear a few clips.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:47 pm

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/third

Curious to hear impressions. All are alt-preset-standard encodes.

-D
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:48 pm

WELL?
-------------

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:05 am

OK, I compared the Stroke It Noel clips...

- The Castle is WAY too toppy and has no low end to speak of.

- The PVC is better but still lacking in the low end.

- The Line is decent sounds rather dull IMO.

- I like the EQ on the Ryko best. It has a nice full sound. Is it NR'd? Maybe, but the I find the EQ to be the most pleasing of the 4.

There are several white label pressings of Third out there that date from 1975. I would love to hear how THAT sounds. I don't of any needle drops doing the rounds. FWIW here is the tracklist of the '75 test pressings. I have no idea what the track labled "Sometimes" is..

Stroke It Noel
Downs
Femme Fatale
Thank You Friends
Holocaust
Jesus Christ
Blue Moon

Kizza Me
Sometimes??
O, Dana
Nighttime
Whole Lotta Shakin'
Kanga Roo
Take Care

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:41 am

OK, the track Sometimes on the 1975 Third test pressings is For You. Also, an 180g LP reissue of Third is due out next month..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:54 pm

There is some talk on sh.tv about Third/Sister Lovers and a couple of posters maintain that the PVC CD is a different mix. Other than a couple of short bits of studio chatter not heard any where else the mixes sounded the same to when I listened to it awhile back. Has anyone heard any differences in the mixes?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 am

No, I hadn't, but it's possible I missed some.
-------------

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 am

Chris M wrote:There is some talk on sh.tv about Third/Sister Lovers and a couple of posters maintain that the PVC CD is a different mix. Other than a couple of short bits of studio chatter not heard any where else the mixes sounded the same to when I listened to it awhile back. Has anyone heard any differences in the mixes?

The PVC CD (and LP issue) is certainly a different mix. I have not compared, but I recall that Ryko did make a big deal out of them remixing for their issue. I could have sworn that they got input from all parties when doing the song sequence when doing their version. But lately I have gotten the impression that they did not talk with Alex.

By the way, I met Alex after an LA show of his and got my UK double Big Star and Box Tops Dimensions LPs signed. It was an interesting encounter, and seeing his performance from the front row of MaCabe's on Pico on LA. The place holds 150 and here I am sitting right in front. He broke a string during Sept. Gurls and refused to continue that song on any other guitar. I almost offered to change the broken string on his guitar (red Tele), as the stage is knee level. But I thought it would be more interesting to just see where the show goes. He seemed to wing it, and just played what ever he felt like. He said "I could play a Buck Owens song....?" I said do you know any Marty Robbins? And he said yes, I know a really good one, and went into "Knee Deep in the Blues".