Beatles Capitol albums vol. 2?

Just what the name says.
czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:38 pm

So then do you think the mono Beatles '65 from the Capitol box does sound better than the BFS CD?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:56 pm

I've honestly never compared much. Want some clips?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 pm

czeskleba wrote:So then do you think the mono Beatles '65 from the Capitol box does sound better than the BFS CD?

Listening a little...the Capitol box is certainly clearer on the high end, although I'm not sure how much is EQ and how much is the transfer. I'm tempted to think at least some is the transfer, because the high end is *really* muted in places - Baby's In Black for one.

http://lukpac.org/mp3/samples/black.mp3

EMI BFS/Capitol '65. Somewhat level matched.

I think the EQ is over the top on the Capitol CD, but I still like the transfer.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:31 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:17 pm

lukpac wrote:Look at that great artwork!

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/de ... P57497%2D4

Gee, that design looks vaguely familiar.

I think they should sell it with a free pair of sunglasses so your retinas aren't burned out by the godawful garish neon color scheme. :shock:

seth

Postby seth » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Ugh. And I suppose it will be just as flimsy as the last one, for consistency's sake? At least we'll know in advance that the contents of the box will fly out and onto the floor if you're not careful. :|

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Inspired by this thread, I was just listening to "Yesterday and Today" (stereo) of all things.

Then I got up to "What Goes On."

Again: yech. To whom did this mix sound good, exactly? Why is that awful guitar part in *any* mix of the song?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Some Photoshop jockey at Capitol is getting paid way too much.

And, yes, I imagine the discs will fly out of the box in the same festive manner as the first set. It's like champagne!

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:58 pm

I wonder where the Vigotone artwork guys are nowadays?
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Xenu wrote:Inspired by this thread, I was just listening to "Yesterday and Today" (stereo) of all things.

Then I got up to "What Goes On."

Again: yech. To whom did this mix sound good, exactly? Why is that awful guitar part in *any* mix of the song?

There isn't anything different about it, is there? I'm too lazy to move the 3 feet to compare the mixes.

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Xenu wrote:I wonder where the Vigotone artwork guys are nowadays?

Wasn't all the Vigotone stuff (artwork, mastering compilation) done by one guy? And didn't he go to jail? Or did he get off with a fine.

Thanks for posting the clips, Luke. I won't have time to listen to them till the weekend.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:20 am

lukpac wrote:
There isn't anything different about it, is there? I'm too lazy to move the 3 feet to compare the mixes.

No, nothing different...sorry, should've made that clearer.
-------------

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:32 pm

Wasn't Ringo holding a cigarette in the original photo?
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:01 pm

Yes. He also hadn't lost parts of two fingers.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 pm

That's almost as amazing as the guy from Def Leppard.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney