Wolfgang's Vault

Just what the name says.
User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:40 pm

It looks like there's now a "VIP" option, where the streams are 192 instead of 96:

Enhanced stream quality
WVIP members get 192kbps streams, double our standard bitrate. You will love the quality difference and please don't blame us if it prompts you to buy better speakers.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/wvip-music-service.html

Has anyone done this? The 96k default is kind of annoying.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:05 pm

The Who's Tanglewood '70 show is coming:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/blog/inde ... -of-tommy/

Not clear if it will be available to download, but the clip posted sounds great - wide stereo.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re:

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Chris M wrote:For some reason when I try to tell people that most of this lot is sourced from bootlegs they don't believe me. Even when I point out that audience sources are spliced into the gaps in the SB they still don't believe me. Oh, well.


Here's an odd one, the two Derek & the Dominos late shows:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/derek-and ... -1970.html
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/derek-and ... -1970.html

10/23 has the Live At The Fillmore mix of Let It Rain, just like the boot. And 10/24 has an edited version of Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out and the 10/23 take of Bottle of Red Wine, again just like the boot. *Yet*, 10/23 uses the original, unreleased (even on boot, to my knowledge) mix of Crossroads.

Whatever the case, I had previously figured perhaps some of that D&tD stuff was from live stereo mixes made by Bill Graham's people. Nope. Mixes made 2 years later for In Concert. Whether Wolfgang's actually has tapes like that is unknown, but whatever the case, they aren't using them.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Jeff T.
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am
Location: Blueberry Hill

Re: Re:

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

lukpac wrote:
Chris M wrote:For some reason when I try to tell people that most of this lot is sourced from bootlegs they don't believe me. Even when I point out that audience sources are spliced into the gaps in the SB they still don't believe me. Oh, well.


Here's an odd one, the two Derek & the Dominos late shows:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/derek-and ... -1970.html
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/derek-and ... -1970.html

10/23 has the Live At The Fillmore mix of Let It Rain, just like the boot. And 10/24 has an edited version of Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out and the 10/23 take of Bottle of Red Wine, again just like the boot. *Yet*, 10/23 uses the original, unreleased (even on boot, to my knowledge) mix of Crossroads.

Whatever the case, I had previously figured perhaps some of that D&tD stuff was from live stereo mixes made by Bill Graham's people. Nope. Mixes made 2 years later for In Concert. Whether Wolfgang's actually has tapes like that is unknown, but whatever the case, they aren't using them.


You mean that they are not using them other than for a few missing tracks like "Crossroads"?

That would be odd huh! Like a shrewd bootlegger trying to get more milage out of their limited stash of tapes. Them sprinkling a bread crumb of Crossroads into a mash-up of boot & official release is just plain weird. It is too much work to be an accident.

I just read this entire thread again. Great thread. It reminded me of what was a major thing I went for once I got a burner in 1999.

To me the internet + CD burner = major upgrades of radio shows. I spent all my spending money every month for years at the Pasadena City Swap Meet (they had a huge parking lot, just for music sellers), and once the usenet groups got cooking, my investment paid off X 20.

Anyway, nice to see WG's Vault add something of interest to the mix.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Jeff T. wrote:
lukpac wrote:Whatever the case, I had previously figured perhaps some of that D&tD stuff was from live stereo mixes made by Bill Graham's people. Nope. Mixes made 2 years later for In Concert. Whether Wolfgang's actually has tapes like that is unknown, but whatever the case, they aren't using them.


You mean that they are not using them other than for a few missing tracks like "Crossroads"?

That would be odd huh! Like a shrewd bootlegger trying to get more milage out of their limited stash of tapes. Them sprinkling a bread crumb of Crossroads into a mash-up of boot & official release is just plain weird. It is too much work to be an accident.


No. The bootleg of 10/23 uses the Live at The Fillmore mix of Crossroads. Wolfgang's uses the boot for (I believe) everything except Crossroads, where they use the unreleased mix instead. My point, though, was this was not a live mix made at the show, but rather something prepared later for the LP. So there's really no reason it would have been in "the archive". It does raise the question of where they got it, though, and why they even bothered.

Also, the order of the 10/24 show is still all mixed up, just like the boot (except they realized that Little Wing ended the show). If they actually had tapes there, even if they were poor quality, they still should have been sufficient for them to determine what the proper order was.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Jeff T.
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am
Location: Blueberry Hill

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:55 pm

I thought I made it clear I am agreeing - they used a tape/mix of Crossroads nobody knows about outside of the Clapton section of the tape vault at Uni. Why would WG even have it was your point, no?

They sprinkled in a rare on into a stiched show from other sourses. I thought I agreed.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:23 am

Jeff T. wrote:I thought I made it clear I am agreeing - they used a tape/mix of Crossroads nobody knows about outside of the Clapton section of the tape vault at Uni. Why would WG even have it was your point, no?


That seems to be the case. Unless there's a boot I'm not aware of. Either way, it is unclear why they bothered.

I misunderstood you; I thought you were speaking to my comment about tapes that would have originated with the Graham organization.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Jeff T.
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am
Location: Blueberry Hill

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

lukpac wrote:it is unclear why they bothered.


Sprinkling a bread crumb, Crossroads into.............

Because they knew someone like you, or me, etc. would pay attention and notice. And then check back for more "ultra rare trax" where ever they may find them.

Dangle a carrot, or sprinkle a bread crumb, is what I call it.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 am

Jeff T. wrote:Sprinkling a bread crumb, Crossroads into.............

Because they knew someone like you, or me, etc. would pay attention and notice. And then check back for more "ultra rare trax" where ever they may find them.

Dangle a carrot, or sprinkle a bread crumb, is what I call it.


But it begs the question, if they actually had access to more, why didn't they use it? Why limit it to one song?

I may have to double check to verify the rest of 10/23 came from the boot, rather than some alternate source, but there's little question 10/24 comes right from the boot. Or at the very least, some sort of circulating tapes with the same lineage as the boot.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Jeff T.
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am
Location: Blueberry Hill

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm

lukpac wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:[b]But it begs the question, if they actually had access to more, why didn't they use it? Why limit it to one song?

I may have to double check to verify the rest of 10/23 came from the boot, rather than some alternate source, but there's little question 10/24 comes right from the boot. Or at the very least, some sort of circulating tapes with the same lineage as the boot.


Perhaps happytobealive could answer some of your questions over in that "In Concert" thread on that other board? Kind of funny that he has not shown up in that thread at all, but then again perhaps not surprising, as it is not exactly "glowing" commentary on the double live album is it.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby lukpac » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Jeff T. wrote:Perhaps happytobealive could answer some of your questions over in that "In Concert" thread on that other board? Kind of funny that he has not shown up in that thread at all, but then again perhaps not surprising, as it is not exactly "glowing" commentary on the double live album is it.


I doubt he would know anything about the mixes or sources of boots.

So the 10/23 show is missing stuff even on the boot. Like the start of Blues Power. Attempting to mask their sources, perhaps? Odd. And lame.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Jeff T.
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am
Location: Blueberry Hill

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 pm

lukpac wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:Perhaps happytobealive could answer some of your questions over in that "In Concert" thread on that other board? Kind of funny that he has not shown up in that thread at all, but then again perhaps not surprising, as it is not exactly "glowing" commentary on the double live album is it.


I doubt he would know anything about the mixes or sources of boots.

So the 10/23 show is missing stuff even on the boot. Like the start of Blues Power. Attempting to mask their sources, perhaps? Odd. And lame.


Or the sources of the rare WG trax? I think you should ask anyway, just to see if a response comes in.

:lol: :twisted:

User avatar
Jeff T.
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am
Location: Blueberry Hill

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:57 pm

So the rarer Who 73 recordings (at WGV) have still not been leaked or offered for sale is that correct?

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wolfgang's Vault

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Jeff T. wrote:So the rarer Who 73 recordings (at WGV) have still not been leaked or offered for sale is that correct?


Come again? Philly and Largo are there for streaming, but not download.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD