Ryko Townshend Who Came First

Just what the name says.
Chris M

Ryko Townshend Who Came First

Postby Chris M » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:13 am

I know it's essential for the bonus tracks but how does the Ryko Who Came First compare to the LP's and the DAD?

Also, how essential is The Oceanic Concerts? I downloaded Drowned and it was fantastic. Is the rest of the show that good?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:31 am

I wish I could say on Who Came First - all I have is the Ryko. I'd say it sounds pretty damn good on its own. Fang doesn't like the DAD, for what it's worth.

I like Oceanic for content (at least the PT tracks), but the mastering is horrible. Jon Astley NR at its worst.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:54 pm

The Ryko disc is currently floating around on Pedro's -- FLACed for your pleasure.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

lschwart

Postby lschwart » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 am

Can't help with the Who Came First comparison, but I like the Oceanic Concerts disk. The mastering is not so bad that it gets in the way of the music for me. I'm a sucker for just listening to Pete in that sort of situation, so I'll put up with a lot (the La Jolla sets, by the way, are consistently better for both sound and content, but you've already heard what I have to say about those)!

L.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:25 pm

I found the Ryko for a decent price and am pleasantly surpirsed at the sound qulaity. Much better than I expected. Looks like no Dr. Toby in sight...

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Dr. Toby?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

the 801

Postby the 801 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:17 pm

lukpac wrote:Dr. Toby?

Toby Mountain, Ryko's then-preferred digital mastering engineer for most of their releases (including Bowie).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:27 pm

Oh, no - Tim Young did that one. I'm guessing he worked on behalf of Pete, not Ryko.

the 801

Postby the 801 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:04 pm

Sorry for the confusion -- yes, I realize Tim Young mastered the Ryko 'Who Came First'; I thought you were asking who 'Dr. Toby' is as mentioned in Chris' post...

Of course, we all know who 'Dr. Toby' is/was...