Satanic Sessions query

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Satanic Sessions query

Postby Xenu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:44 pm

Someone recently brought up that the Stones have an astonishing amount of unreleased tracks in the can. Some have shown up on boots, some haven't.

I was recently listening to Satanic Sessions, of all things, and was wondering: is there any indication that some of the non-album instrumental tracks had vocals recorded? I.e. is that "Five Part Jam" actually a finished song somewhere?

There's really not much difference on the set between the songs that DID make the album and those that didn't.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:56 pm

I know I asked this once before, but has the backing to the final take of We Love You ever shown up? The discs you sent me have a ton of takes, but not the final one.

I'm thinking along the lines of a sync-up, if you couldn't tell.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:48 pm

I don't think so. Aren't the final takes generally not on the box? (I'm currently too lazy to check)
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:22 pm

No idea on the other songs - I just remember that one.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 pm

Regarding We Love You, are those panned sound effects and left/right/left vocals released on anything prior to the SACDs? Never listened to it on the older "fazed cookies" CDs, and my London LP has it in mono. Were the original stereo masters likely mixed that way?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:33 pm

It was the same on the old MHR CDs, both London and ABKCO.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:47 pm

Aftermath wrote:Regarding We Love You, are those panned sound effects and left/right/left vocals released on anything prior to the SACDs? Never listened to it on the older "fazed cookies" CDs, and my London LP has it in mono. Were the original stereo masters likely mixed that way?

Yes indeedy.

As an aside: I recall being prejudiced against "We Love You" during my formative music period. Somebody (maybe it's Norman? In one of the Beatles bios, in any case) mentions that "We Love You" is a ripoff of "All You Need is Love," and for years I believed that was the case. And then I heard More Hot Rocks 2...needless to say, I was shocked and delighted. I think it's the Stones' psychedelic period at its absolute best.

It's implied that the current version on the new ABKCOs is closer to/is source, due to its alternate ending.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:51 pm

Xenu wrote:It's implied that the current version on the new ABKCOs is closer to/is source, due to its alternate ending.

??

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 pm

Y'know, "For your health!"
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:28 am

Er...it's just a wee bit longer or something, right?

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:26 am

Thanks for the info. guys. Nice forum, BTW.

Xenu wrote: I think it's the Stones' psychedelic period at its absolute best.

I agree. Obscure, energetic, and way out there--even against the other TSMR stuff. Recorded w/friends John and Paul (?) between trips to the courtroom and jail.

I've only heard a 30-second clip of the SACD so can't help w/the ending question. SACD version is on its way though.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:08 pm

lukpac wrote:Er...it's just a wee bit longer or something, right?

I'm not around the disc right now, but I also think it lacks the weird fade of the prior versions (i.e. it the volume drops, stops, and then rapidly fades at the end).
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:51 pm

You're going to make me pull it out?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:37 pm

lukpac wrote:Er...it's just a wee bit longer or something, right?

lukpac wrote:You're going to make me pull it out?

Post of the year.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:28 pm

Here's the WLY promo video, complete with one wiped out cherub and the infamous Mrs. X... At least part of this has shown up in color on the 25x5 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaW-ZXlV ... love%20you