Byrds MTM Mo-Fi Mono

Just what the name says.
Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Byrds MTM Mo-Fi Mono

Postby Mike Hunte » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:00 pm

Apparently she's finally out. Anyone heard it yet?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:52 pm

I'm waiting to see it used.

As much as I find charging more than twenty dollars for a mono album on hybrid SACD a bit puzzling, I very much like this as an indicator re. content trends. If Sony is content to let MoFi release its entire mono catalog as hybrids, so be it.

This is what I've been hoping these companies would do for years. Instead of reissuing the usual suspects, do something interesting. Do stereo/mono, or something.

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:08 am

Xenu wrote:If Sony is content to let MoFi release its entire mono catalog as hybrids, so be it.

I agree; I'm quite interested to see what (if anything) comes next.

I will probably cave and grab the Tambourine Man disc before long (I can't remember the last time a SACD came along that I was remotely interested in), but it's not really at the top of my list right now.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:37 am

I've never heard the mono mix, but I have to wonder, what's different? Those aren't overly complex recordings in the first place, and I believe most songs were pre-mixed down to 3-track prior to mono and stereo mixing anyway, so the biggest difference might be the vocal level.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Does anyone have that mono singles collection from Sundazed? How does it compare? I'm wondering if this is like the Dylan mono mixes, which were unimpressive - the only reason I listened to them was to avoid the weird split on his earliest recordings, but after that, it wasn't anything special (like, say, the Beatles' mono mixes or even Surrealistic Pillow).
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:19 pm

I don't recall that many differences in what I've heard. I'm also surprised that they chose *this* instead of something like 5D.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:22 am

Well, I caved and ordered this from Tower last week (got a few bucks off with a coupon). It arrived yesterday.

I'll be listening later today (to the SACD layer, thru headphones ... one of my speakers is out for repair), so if anyone has specific questions, shoot 'em out ...