Crosby, Stills & Nash (Expanded & Remastered) 1/24

Just what the name says.
Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Crosby, Stills & Nash (Expanded & Remastered) 1/24

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:44 am

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetai ... mber=73290

This disc has been posted to the Usenet in lossless format, specifically on a.b.s.lossless. After an initial listen, the disc sounds reasonably detailed and the bonus tracks are decent. I'll have to locate my Atlantic issue of this for a proper comparrison.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:51 am

Hmm, anyone know what the bonus tracks are? Don't see anything yet on Circuit City or Amazon. Song With No Words is the only one that *might* have been on the box set.

DO FOR THE OTHERS

SONG WITH NO WORDS

EVERYBODY'S TALKIN'

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:56 am

Not I. Unforunately the covers were not included in the post. 3 of the 4 are demos.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:22 am

Matt wrote:Not I.

Matt wrote:3 of the 4 are demos.

What?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:35 am

I think ICE had something on the bonus tracks. I'll check tonight.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:04 am

Matt wrote:Not I.

Just saying I did not have any further information on the bonus tracks.

Matt wrote:3 of the 4 are demos.

Reading the description on Rhino's site I thought Stills "Everybody's Talkin'" could have been released before. The other bonus tracks sound like informal acoustic demos to me.

Hopefully we can get more details before the official release. If liner notes are posted, I'll post a message in this thread.

Have you been able to download the disc yet Luke?
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:12 am

I just didn't understand what you meant when you said you didn't know, then claimed they were demos. Ok...I didn't process the "After an initial listen" bit fully.

No, I haven't downloaded it.

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Song With No Words is a remix of the version that appeared on the box set. Teach Your Children is an early demo of the song. Do For The Others is a group version of the tune that appeared on Stephen's first solo album. Everybody's Talkin', the Fred Neil tune, is an outtake from the album sessions w/ Stephen singing.

The last performance (ET) already came out on a bootleg this year.

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:48 pm

Matt wrote:
Reading the description on Rhino's site I thought Stills "Everybody's Talkin'" could have been released before.

The only Stills version that's been released so far is the version on his 1976 live album.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the solo studio version he did on Stills Alone in the early 90's too.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:55 pm

David R. Modny wrote:Song With No Words is a remix of the version that appeared on the box set. Teach Your Children is an early demo of the song. Do For The Others is a group version of the tune that appeared on Stephen's first solo album. Everybody's Talkin', the Fred Neil tune, is an outtake from the album sessions w/ Stephen singing.

The last performance (ET) already came out on a bootleg this year.

Which is exactly what ICE said, so I'm now liberated from research duty tonight. Thanks!

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

J_Partyka

Re: Crosby, Stills & Nash (Expanded & Remastered) 1/

Postby J_Partyka » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:07 pm

Matt wrote:I'll have to locate my Atlantic issue of this for a proper comparison.

Just curious: Did you have a chance to make this comparison?

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:26 am

The old ("unremastered") Atlantic disc is not easy to beat...sounds still great. Who mastered the new one? Inglot?

Matt

Re: Crosby, Stills & Nash (Expanded & Remastered) 1/

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 pm

J_Partyka wrote:Just curious: Did you have a chance to make this comparison?

I did compare it briefly to the remaster from a few years back. It sounded similar to me. Maybe a little difference on the EQ, but close. I still will try to find my original Atlantic.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:32 pm

What about the intro to Carry On? It's narrowed on the remaster, and isn't on the original.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Wrong album. (Does superior dance.)

Ryan